Im a coach now

A forum for coaches to discuss coaching technique and advice with each other. Only registered coaches can post in this forum.

Moderator: AVC Coach

VaultBrad
PV Whiz

Im a coach now

Unread postby VaultBrad » Fri Mar 18, 2005 7:12 pm

since i cant vault this spring, ive taken the position of PV coach for my track team. im really excited about this season, ive got 8 girls and 9 or 10 guys most of them new and young. i started them off with some basic pole holding and plant drills and am very impressed. im making sure that i get them all doing everything right before i move to each next step, since they are all new i want to make sure i dont let them get any bad habits. obviously im new to coaching, but ive got a good handel on it (i learned from the great Brad Bowery).

Any coaches have any good advice on coaching, such as progression, good drills that i can have them do with limited equipment, etc.

Vaulter99
PV Beginner

Unread postby Vaulter99 » Fri Mar 18, 2005 8:34 pm

I sucks that your injured but I guess its good that you are still involved with the pole vault at your school. Im only a senior, but I know from working with new vaulters what drills you should have them do.
1. pole running drills
2. plant drills
3. Swings
4. rope drills

for some of the beginner girls that don't know how to use their strength make sure that you or a coach is able to spot them and almost push their pole while they are on it into the pit for the first few times.

Good Luck!

souleman
PV Lover
Lifetime Best: 12-7.5
Favorite Vaulter: Bob Seagren, Bob Richards

Unread postby souleman » Fri Mar 18, 2005 9:31 pm

V-Brad, just plow through this forum. There's enough good coaching info in here that you can't get through it all. You'll burn up a ton of paper but copy and print many of the entrys and make a book that your vaulters can refer to. Like you, they will "coach" themselves through a lot of their problems. Key thing is watch out for their safety. I would give them the same advise I give a new motorcycle rider,(my kids and my wife when I taught tem how to ride) I tell them not to be foolhardy but they have to ride it like they mean it. When your kids are jumping or doing drills, make sure they aren't "out of control" or "foolhardy", but instead vault and train "like they mean it". They'll stay healthier that way.Video tape, video tape, video tape!Good luck and have a good season. It's very cool that you're still contributing to your team even though you can't vault. I hope they(your school, your coach, and your team) realize it too.Later...........Mike

VaultBrad
PV Whiz

Unread postby VaultBrad » Sat Mar 19, 2005 1:25 pm

Vaulter99 wrote:I sucks that your injured but I guess its good that you are still involved with the pole vault at your school. Im only a senior, but I know from working with new vaulters what drills you should have them do.
1. pole running drills
2. plant drills
3. Swings
4. rope drills

for some of the beginner girls that don't know how to use their strength make sure that you or a coach is able to spot them and almost push their pole while they are on it into the pit for the first few times.

Good Luck!

thanks, im really liking coaching. ive got them all doing walking plants quite well now. this monday i plan on getting them all to start running with the pole, emphasizing proper running form. im gonna make sure every body is comfortable running with the pole befor i even get the pit out. i most likely wont even let any body bend a pole untill the second dual meet. ill have them doing so many pole runs, its gonna be great.

unfortunately we dont have ropes or a bar at school, so ill have to get them all over to my house on weekends to do swing ups and bubkas on the high bar i made. we are giving my backyard pit away(since i wont be using it), but we are keeping the two extra pads i had so straight poling is still an option back there as long as the gris dont get too high. i read Beginner to Bubka, that i got in reno, and am gonna try to do some of the stuff in there. like sand pit vaulting, and sand vaulting off a platforrm

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sat Mar 19, 2005 2:42 pm

Lots and lots and lots of short run vaulting. I mean 0 steps, 2 steps, 4 steps, 6 steps (0-1-2-3 lefts).

Beginners do not need to be running from a long run right off the bat. A good rule of thumb for girls is that they should be able to clear about as high as the number of steps they are running before they move back. So if a girl can't clear 6 feet from 6 steps (3 lefts), she's probably not ready to run from 8 steps (4 lefts).

VaultBrad
PV Whiz

Unread postby VaultBrad » Sat Mar 19, 2005 3:51 pm

souleman wrote:V-Brad, just plow through this forum. There's enough good coaching info in here that you can't get through it all. You'll burn up a ton of paper but copy and print many of the entrys and make a book that your vaulters can refer to. Like you, they will "coach" themselves through a lot of their problems. Key thing is watch out for their safety. I would give them the same advise I give a new motorcycle rider,(my kids and my wife when I taught tem how to ride) I tell them not to be foolhardy but they have to ride it like they mean it. When your kids are jumping or doing drills, make sure they aren't "out of control" or "foolhardy", but instead vault and train "like they mean it". They'll stay healthier that way.Video tape, video tape, video tape!Good luck and have a good season. It's very cool that you're still contributing to your team even though you can't vault. I hope they(your school, your coach, and your team) realize it too.Later...........Mike

thats a good idea about a reference book. when im working with them im their coach, not their not their team mate. we will definately have fun, but i consider the act of training and vaulting the fun part. if any one starts fooling around i have no problem reminding them why they are there, to practice polevaulting, fooling around is for after practice when there isnt as big a chance that they can get hurt.

VaultBrad
PV Whiz

Unread postby VaultBrad » Sat Mar 19, 2005 3:53 pm

rainbowgirl28 wrote:Lots and lots and lots of short run vaulting. I mean 0 steps, 2 steps, 4 steps, 6 steps (0-1-2-3 lefts).

Beginners do not need to be running from a long run right off the bat. A good rule of thumb for girls is that they should be able to clear about as high as the number of steps they are running before they move back. So if a girl can't clear 6 feet from 6 steps (3 lefts), she's probably not ready to run from 8 steps (4 lefts).

thanks becca, actually this is basicly my plan, they arent going from any farther from 3 lefts for the first meet or two, im gonna have them doing stuff right before i let them move back

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sat Mar 19, 2005 4:00 pm

Awesome :yes:

ladyvolspvcoach
PV Follower

I'm coaching now

Unread postby ladyvolspvcoach » Sat Mar 19, 2005 4:41 pm

Brad, especially for the girls have them do 2 step pole climbs to start each practice. Right, left jump as high as they can and try to get at least three hands up the pole. This drill develops an excellent take off and begins to develop some upper body strength. and s-t-r-a-d-d-l-e the pole. No matter what it seems will happen . . . . it won't!!

VaultBrad
PV Whiz

Unread postby VaultBrad » Sat Mar 19, 2005 9:26 pm

thanks coach,

ill definately get them to try that, ill have the guys do it too. the thing im worried about with this is getting them in the habit of pulling after they take off while actually vaulting. have you seen this happen?

ladyvolspvcoach
PV Follower

I'm a coach now

Unread postby ladyvolspvcoach » Sun Mar 20, 2005 1:41 pm

vaultnbrad,
No it doesn't train an early pull!! Go back to three lefts and have them do swing drills and try to get their hip or thigh to the pole WITHOUT pulling!! That and endless pole runs.

VaultBrad
PV Whiz

Unread postby VaultBrad » Sun Mar 20, 2005 1:43 pm

awesome, thanks

Return to “Pole Vault - Coaches Forum”