Right or Left????

A forum for coaches to discuss coaching technique and advice with each other. Only registered coaches can post in this forum.

Moderator: AVC Coach

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Jul 31, 2005 10:22 pm

Isinbayeva writes left-handed and pole vaults righty.

http://tinypic.com/9r664j.jpg

Alan, do you think cross laterality will keep her from reaching her full potential?

Russ
PV Master

Unread postby Russ » Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:08 pm

Here's an update on my 2 right-handed gymnasts who thought that they preferred jumping off of their right foot.

The one who decided pretty quickly to go righty has had great success. She's becoming a consistent 10-6 vaulter. The one who went lefty has not been higher than 7-0. She vaulted lefty all last year. We experimented again 4 weeks ago (at the beginning of this outdoor season) and decided to make her righty. Although she still has not vaulted higher than 7-0 yet, I think that she's going to be around 8-6 or 9-0 this year as a righty. In retrospect, I think it was a mistake to try to make her a lefty just because she "thought" that she preferred to jump off of her right foot. She's more comfortable now as a righty.

I don't know what the "right" answer is to this question, but I know that with my 2, righty was the "right" choice.
Russ

"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

Return to “Pole Vault - Coaches Forum”