take off step under

A forum for coaches to discuss coaching technique and advice with each other. Only registered coaches can post in this forum.

Moderator: AVC Coach

coleman
PV Newbie

take off step under

Unread postby coleman » Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:33 am

I have a couple of beginner vaulters and everytime they take off they are under. I have had them move back and they still reach to take off from a spot way under. One of the young girls even takes off the wrong foot just so she can be further under. Why do they continue to do this and how can i fix this problem?

ec1vaulter
PV Nerd
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Coach (All Levels)
Lifetime Best: 4.73

Unread postby ec1vaulter » Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:04 pm

It is a common error for beginners to be under at their plant. The error usually stems from them beginning full jumps to early in the training. I am going to assume that you are coaching high school vaulters, which makes it difficult since the season is only 10 - 12 weeks long and you do not have time to progress through the steps like colleges and some advanced high school programs may have.

One drill you could do is full speed pole runs on the track. They should plant the pole and jump just as if the box were there. Mark their takeoff point and have them continue the pole runs. Your main job here is to make sure they their running posture is consistent and correct. If they cannot hit the same point over and over again, then they are altering their run through basic running mechanics.

Another drill that you can do is vaulting into the long/triple jump pit. I have two decathletes doing this every day that we jump as a way to warm-up right now. It is a great drill because it shortens the run and focuses on proper positioning at takeoff. During this drill emphasis getting the arms up at the plant, proper drive leg, and proper trail leg.

Once they get a consistent run and the feel of a correct plant they should be able to transition that onto the runway for their full jumps. Until they can perform these two drills properly, I would recommend a low handgrip on the pole and working from a short approach when doing actual jumping into the pit. If they cannot get their steps correct they should not be using full approaches with a high top hand, as it could lead to injury and it will definitely lead to bad habits.
What did you do to get better today?

Robert schmitt
PV Lover

Unread postby Robert schmitt » Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:59 pm

Like ec1vaulter said pole runs. Also be aware that they may be actually out and elongating the last few strides making them under. Ocassionally you actually need to move the run up 6"-12" so they can accelerate into there take off and be on.
An optimist is one who sees a light in darkness....a pessimist blows it out.

ashcraftpv
That one guy
Expertise: Former College Vaulter (D1), Current High School Coach, 1999 Outdoor Big Ten Champion
Lifetime Best: 5.25m
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Jason Hinkin

Unread postby ashcraftpv » Tue Mar 07, 2006 3:20 pm

like robert said, a lot of my beginning vaulters are timid at first and slow down in their last few steps, which lengthens their stride and causes them to be under alot. make sure they are staying aggresive in their last 2 strides and keeping them short and quick
PoleVaultPlanet is coming.....

coleman
PV Newbie

Unread postby coleman » Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:24 am

Thanks that all makes sense, and I have not had much time to do pole runs with practice limited to two days a week. Do you guys have any imput on the vaulter who jumps off her right foot. She does every drill jumping off her left, but then when she goes into the pit, it is always off her right foot.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:00 pm

coleman wrote:Thanks that all makes sense, and I have not had much time to do pole runs with practice limited to two days a week. Do you guys have any imput on the vaulter who jumps off her right foot. She does every drill jumping off her left, but then when she goes into the pit, it is always off her right foot.

Does she long jump off her right foot?

coleman
PV Newbie

Unread postby coleman » Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:50 am

She dosent long jump, but when i have taken her to the sand she jumps off her left foot. Every drill she does she jumps off her left foot. When she is at the mat she jumps off her right and there is no slow down or studder.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:15 am

One of the best ways to fix that is just start with vaulting from 2 steps (1 left). Not drills, full vaults, more or less. Start with a bungee or bar at like 5 feet and raise it as needed.

If she is a brand new beginner girl, her stride length is probably about 10', plus or minus a foot. Start her run at about 10' or 11' with a super low grip on your smallest pole and she should be able to take 2 steps and pole vault.

When she gets that down, back up to 4 steps (2 lefts), which should be another 10' or so. As she backs up, keep raising her grip and moving up poles as needed. Keep backing up 2 steps (1L) at a time and she should be good to go from a longer run.

coleman
PV Newbie

Unread postby coleman » Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:20 am

Thank you that sounds like it should work.

ladyvolspvcoach
PV Follower

under

Unread postby ladyvolspvcoach » Sat Mar 11, 2006 7:06 pm

especially for the new vaulters being under my have as much to do with the way they run and plant. It is ALWAYS true that if the kids are planting "energetically" and throwing their hands up to plant, instead of letting the pole drop they WILL overstride each step involved in the plant. Or the last one or two strides will react to the "energetic" plant by over striding.

baggettpv
PV Master

Under step.

Unread postby baggettpv » Sun Mar 26, 2006 1:44 am

Teach them how to jump from a run. It seems as tho the atletes are going to other events. Like 11.5 100 meter guys are called sprinters.
There's alot of info out there on training for the long jump. Seek it out then apply to to the level of the kids you have. Also learning how to hurdle is good for teaching the same thing.

Rick Baggett

stavhoppare
PV Fan
Expertise: Former Elite Vaulter, Olympic and Div. Coach
Lifetime Best: 17'8 3/4
Favorite Vaulter: Kjell Isackson

Unread postby stavhoppare » Wed May 31, 2006 10:03 pm

Let's say your vaulter should be at 10 feet for the takeoff point but always reaches to be at 9 feet. She is compfortable there....have her agree on that. Once she is confident she can alway take off at nine feet, simply go to a bit lighter pole and move her hand grip DOWN so she will be in the correct position (hand/toe relationship) at takeoff.

As she gets the feel of the correct position, and knows she can make it into the pit ok, you can gradually move her step back and grip up. The is a task progression method. She must perform this properly X number of times correctly. If she does, move up and back. If she goes back to reaching to be under, start again from the beginning of the drills.

Coaches must be aware....for a vaulter to simply move back to the correct take off position, it is very difficult. One foot difference in the takeoff area can feel like the difference between the north and south rim of the Grand Canyon to the vaulter. Slow, steady drills at low grips on proper takeoff marks will come with patience and lots of repitition.
5.405 in '69 Those not living on the edge are taking up too much room!!!

Return to “Pole Vault - Coaches Forum”