NCAA Rules on Recruiting etc.?

A forum for coaches to discuss coaching technique and advice with each other. Only registered coaches can post in this forum.

Moderator: AVC Coach

Russ
PV Master

NCAA Rules on Recruiting etc.?

Unread postby Russ » Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:23 am

Could someone please give me a brief answer?

I coach high school pole vaulters. I also teach Sports Law at New England School of Law, but NCAA Rules are not my specialty!

What are the basics of the following rules relating to recruitment? I'm especially interested in the NCAA rules regarding when (i.e., is there a calendar date?) certain types of communication become "legal" (or does it depend on the student's athletic season? Or what?).

1. When is a college coach allowed to contact a high school athlete ?

2. When can a high school athlete contact a college coach?

3. Are there different rules regarding e-mail, telephone, and personal conversations?

4. When can a high school athlete visit a college campus and meet a college coach?

For example, I coach a high school junior who's got excellent grades and a 92% PSAT. She's vaulted 10-6 both outdoors (10th grade) and indoors (2 weeks ago) and will probably jump between 11 and 12 this season. She wants to visit colleges during her April vacation. Can she contact college pole vault/track coaches and meet them when she's on those visits, or what? Are there other rules that she/I/her parents should be aware of?

I'd appreciate any enlightenment that you NCAA coaches can offer.

Thanks.
Russ

"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

ec1vaulter
PV Nerd
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Coach (All Levels)
Lifetime Best: 4.73

Unread postby ec1vaulter » Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:58 pm

As a coach you are not permitted to contact a high school athlete until they have senior status (at the conclusion of their spring semester junior year).

If the athlete choses to talk to a coach then the rules are a little different. Contact can be made by the athlete with a college coach at anytime. Most coaches will reply, but the majority of the contact will be done during the senior year.

My advice for your junior pole vaulter is to make the trips to the colleges, fill out a recruiting form, talk to the coach, and at least get her name in list of athletes that will be contacting the staff as seniors. The earlier she can talk to them, the better her chances are of really finding the right fit for her.
What did you do to get better today?

skyshark177
PV Pro
Expertise: College Coach

Unread postby skyshark177 » Sun May 14, 2006 1:03 pm

I know there is a rule that the College coach can only contact the athlete during his/her senior year once a week. That is one email or one phone call a week or one letter.

ladyvolspvcoach
PV Follower

Recruiting

Unread postby ladyvolspvcoach » Wed May 17, 2006 11:53 am

Russ, most of the kids who want to visit will send a CD with vault sessions to introduce themselves to the coaches. However, that is not necessary. I am allowed to visit with any prospect who schedules a visit to the campus. The only restriction is that I need to meet with them on campus. The coaches can respond to any request for communication. Hope that's helpful. Oh that's D1. I don't know what the rules are for the other divisions.

cormanac
PV Beginner

Unread postby cormanac » Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:13 am

Russ,
Sounds like your athlete has a lot of potential!
I realize this is a late response, but thought I would attempt to help.
As she may be looking at D2 and D1 colleges, I would encourage her to sign up for the NCAA clearinghouse. This will make sure she is academically qualified to receive any sort of athletic scholarship and compete at that level. The NCAA has numerous rules set up to protect the academic growth of the student but following them all can get confusing. Do sign all the Clearinghouse forms if you have not done so already.
http://www.ncaaclearinghouse.net/ncaa/NCAA/common/index.html;
Also, here is a link to the official NCAA website that explains what coaches can and cannot do. It may appear confusing, but it may help too!
http://www2.ncaa.org/portal/legislation_and_governance/eligibility_and_recruiting/recruiting.html;
I hope this helps answer some questions and at least gives you some direction!
"To give anything less than the best is to sacrifice the gift."

AVC Coach
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current Coach (All levels)
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Miah Sanders

Unread postby AVC Coach » Sat Jun 03, 2006 6:20 am

Great info! This will be useful to us all. Thanks.

Return to “Pole Vault - Coaches Forum”