Periodization and Psychomotoer learning

A forum for coaches to discuss coaching technique and advice with each other. Only registered coaches can post in this forum.

Moderator: AVC Coach

baggettpv
PV Master

Periodization and Psychomotoer learning

Unread postby baggettpv » Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:08 am

The quesations that arise:
What do you coaches do in training to periodize and teach these three simple aspects of the event? Lets keep it simple and not get too redundant in our replies. You must know about psychomoter training and periodization in athletics and of course the performance of pole vaulting.

Your thoughts?

Rick Baggett
WSTC LLC

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:12 am

Here are the three aspects he is referring to (from the other thread):
Hand hold
Pole size
over grip clearance

Lax PV
PV Follower
Expertise: Former HS and college vaulter, college and HS level coaching, CSCS certified
Lifetime Best: 475
Favorite Vaulter: Tarasov

Unread postby Lax PV » Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:41 am

We have been cutting our volume a lot down to periodize these 3 components--in hopes to jump higher at the end. However, rather than the volume changing, we are going to change our exercise selection to periodize the annual plan of training. This way, we don't go through the 10 pound "blow up" iof high rep lifting. I would rather they gain 2 pounds and run .02 faster in the 15m fly, than increase their bench press by 30 pounds.

This covers the hand grip and the pole size concerns. The over grip clearance I feel is a result of these two things--and having the fresh legs to pole vault at a proper level. Now, we do work out in the gymnastics room, and we have short pole competitions etc. along with this. But, the main idea is that if the event is mechanically sound, the athlete will catch as much energy as they can back from the pole, and if the pole is the right size for him or her they will get a suffcient recoil. A 15' stick at an athletes weight can throw the athlete 16' to 16'5" (obviously as long as the athlete doesn't 'jump over' the pole).

...thats my two cents--any thoughts???

AVC Coach
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current Coach (All levels)
Favorite Vaulter: Miah Sanders

Unread postby AVC Coach » Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:48 pm

Strength, speed and power are the three components that come to mind when I think of successful, serious vaulting, assuming there is a strong technical foundation. Each one should be worked on in conjuction with the other, but have special periods of the year that they are emphasized.

Working with the young vaulters, I preach constantly about how important it is to do vault drills year-round simply to improve those motor skills.

BOWL OF CEREAL! That's what I use to describe it. If you want to be good at this sport, you have to do enough reps that it comes as easy to you as shoving that spoon full of cereal in your mouth. You don't have to think about taking a bite. It just happens.

baggettpv
PV Master

Training...

Unread postby baggettpv » Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:00 am

I was thinking more in the line of:
Preiodization:
6 Cycles, 6 weeks apiece with 1 week active rest between.
Strength endurance
Maximal Strength
Conversion of strength
Power
Dynamics
Competition

Rick Baggett
WSTC LLC

Lax PV
PV Follower
Expertise: Former HS and college vaulter, college and HS level coaching, CSCS certified
Lifetime Best: 475
Favorite Vaulter: Tarasov

Re: Training...

Unread postby Lax PV » Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:54 am

baggettpv wrote:I was thinking more in the line of:
Preiodization:
6 Cycles, 6 weeks apiece with 1 week active rest between.
Strength endurance
Maximal Strength
Conversion of strength
Power
Dynamics
Competition

Rick Baggett
WSTC LLC

Are you concerned with weight gain/loss at all? I realize with muscle growth, inherent weight adds, but minimizing this to create relative strength rather than max strength I think wouldbe more event specific (but I guess it also depends on the level of athlete that you're training too...)

baggettpv
PV Master

Periodization...

Unread postby baggettpv » Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:42 am

Weight gain/loss are relative to each athlete. The chubby ones need to loose and the skinny ones need to gain....The strength issues have to do with the ability to move the body around a moving support ( a pole).

Rick Baggett
WSTC LLC

GeorgeN
PV Nerd

periodization

Unread postby GeorgeN » Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:14 pm

all I can say is, run, lift, don't be a wussy.
Forget all the floozy things. Don't need any other terminology. The recored hasn't been broken since Bubka, and he just kicked a**.

Sorry, I but I just see it that way. America has become too soft and too commercial.
If you don't have the ability, and you don't have the desire...............

ADTF Academy
PV Follower

Unread postby ADTF Academy » Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:00 pm

I take it your a football coach or ex football player.

The body has limits and those limits can be trained and enhanced. How you do so takes precise training and planning. Periodization is the way to plan on such training to improve every aspect of your athletes ability.

Simply calling them a wuss and telling them to run faster is not enough. As a coach it is our jobs to show them how. This was the point of the initial question. The how and why is usually more important than the what.

baggettpv
PV Master

Periodization...Libraries...

Unread postby baggettpv » Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:37 am

One of my texts that I base my training on is Todor Bompa "periodization of Training". Anybody else read the book? How about Bowermans on Training? Also my article notebooks number 8. How about you guys? Whats your library look like?

Rick Baggett
WSTC LLC

Barto
PV Great

Unread postby Barto » Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:20 pm

Athletically speaking, I grew up on Bompa. Dan Pfaff had a huge impact on my career as well; however, I feel that most principals of periodization begin to break down when you deal with athletes whose training ages are 0-2 years. At this point in the athletes' development very little specialization is beneficial. Most athletes' biomotor-abilities are so poorly developed that it takes 2 years of very rudimentary training to aquire the level of mastery needed to benefit fully from the more complex training tasks used in more periodized approaches. Bompa tries to address this concept in his, "Total Training for Young Champions", but I feel he is still too rigid in his assesment of the needs of beginners.

Just my 2 cents,

Barto

ADTF Academy
PV Follower

Unread postby ADTF Academy » Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:54 pm

Tudor Bomba has had a huge impact on the concept of Periodization.

Barto, even Tudor and many other coaches have made the same concepts as you in terms of youth and lack of training age. Periodization can be look at in terms of any training module. Doesn't matter if the motor skill your working on is speed, coordination etc. You can still use the principles to plan on your training plan.

You just need to be creative in the way you train each biomotor ability based on the training age of the athlete. Games over intensive tempo work.

As far as my library. I stopped counting a long time ago. I try to add a new book every 3-4 weeks. Articles are countless. Always looking for new ones. The more you read the better off you are.

Return to “Pole Vault - Coaches Forum”