Goal Setting

A forum for coaches to discuss coaching technique and advice with each other. Only registered coaches can post in this forum.

Moderator: AVC Coach

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Goal Setting

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:04 pm

How do you determine appropriate goals for your athletes? High school and college level especially.

baggettpv
PV Master

Goals

Unread postby baggettpv » Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:13 pm

There are:
Performance goals, Knowldge goals and Behavior goals.

within each goal are short term, mid term and long term goals. Eac h building the previous.

In educaion we work off these catagories to determine our curriculum. It's called Pedogogy.

Every day in the classroom we post the days goal, an assessment, a remediation and an advancement...

My professional opinion,

Rick Baggett
Master Teacher
Sabin Skills Center

baggettpv
PV Master

A Sample Practice goal statement

Unread postby baggettpv » Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:11 pm

1. At the end of the practice the athlete will have performed 25 3 step straight pole take off drills with 15 within acceptable parameters (define these).
2. At the end of the practice the athlete will have performed 12 6 step bent pole take off drills with 8 within acceptable parameters (define these).

When, What and How well.

When goals are set with performance statements included the learning becomes well defined while the athlete takes ownership of their performance.

cdmilton
PV Follower
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Coach
Lifetime Best: 16-0(4.88)

My Goals

Unread postby cdmilton » Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:00 am

I think the athletes need to set their own goals. I direct them so they are realistic. I pass out a questionnaire at the beginning of each season so we know from the start.

One of my goals as a coach is first to setup an environment where everyone is having fun. Once everyone is having a good time they get hooked and the improvement happens easier.

Another goal is to have the athlete become self sufficient in regards to diagnosing their vault. I don’t want athletes coming to me after a jump and having no clue what is going on. I like them to be able to get off the pit and tell me what they felt and offer a suggestion on what they should change.

Another goal is to have either a boy or a girl achieve all state status (top 6 at the state meet). I have been lucky enough to have the happen all 5 seasons of my young coaching career. This year will be tough because all but the freshman from last year graduated.
Chris Milton

baggettpv
PV Master

Goal setting and coaches role

Unread postby baggettpv » Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:48 pm

I think we need some investigation as to the role of a coach and the professional application of the various roles needed and developed. I am going to see what google says onn this matter. I don't want to quote text from my coaching texts.

Rick Baggett
WSTC LLC

baggettpv
PV Master

From a google search Coaching roles

Unread postby baggettpv » Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:59 pm

Coach/Athlete Training Roles

The roles of the coach and athlete in determining training requirements will change over the time an athlete is with a coach.

* When an athlete first starts in a sport/event the coach's role is to direct the athlete in all aspects of training (autocratic role).
* As the athlete develops and demonstrates a sound technical understanding of the sport/event then gradually the coach's role changes to one where the coach and athlete discuss and agree appropriate training requirements (democratic role).
* As the athlete matures and demonstrates a sound understanding of training principals then the athlete will determine the training requirements. The coach's role becomes one of a mentor providing advice and support as and when required.

Pretty simple but accurate.

Rick Baggett
WSTC LLC

cdmilton
PV Follower
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Coach
Lifetime Best: 16-0(4.88)

Re: From a google search Coaching roles

Unread postby cdmilton » Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:53 am

baggettpv wrote:Coach/Athlete Training Roles

The roles of the coach and athlete in determining training requirements will change over the time an athlete is with a coach.

* When an athlete first starts in a sport/event the coach's role is to direct the athlete in all aspects of training (autocratic role).
* As the athlete develops and demonstrates a sound technical understanding of the sport/event then gradually the coach's role changes to one where the coach and athlete discuss and agree appropriate training requirements (democratic role).
* As the athlete matures and demonstrates a sound understanding of training principals then the athlete will determine the training requirements. The coach's role becomes one of a mentor providing advice and support as and when required.

Rick Baggett
WSTC LLC

This is what I have been working toward. You can only get so far in HS but I have had good luck with the 3 kids I just graduated. They knew for the most part what needed to be done after each jump. When they were incorrect or spaced out I would help them get back on track.
Chris Milton

lonestar
PV Lover

Re: From a google search Coaching roles

Unread postby lonestar » Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:06 am

baggettpv wrote:Coach/Athlete Training Roles

Rick Baggett
WSTC LLC

That's very accurate. The older the training age of the athlete, the less I coach them and the more I mentor them. With the absolute beginners, I coach every aspect. Once they have the basics, I take the time to teach them WHY they're raising their grip, WHY they're going up a pole, moving their standards, moving their steps, etc.... and then put it to them in question form after a jump. Example: "Did you land close, in the middle, or far in the pit? 'Far' Did the jump feel fast or slow? 'Fast' Did you hit the bar on the way up or down? 'Up' So what can you do to slow the vault down, land in the middle, and not hit the bar on the way up? 'Raise my grip, go up a pole, or both.'" Obviously you've had to set the background by teaching them what these adjustments do, but they pick it up pretty quickly. With the more advanced vaulters, I just look at them after a blowthrough w/o saying anything, they give me a thumbs up indicating they're going up a pole, and all I do is nod.
Any scientist who can't explain to an eight-year-old what he is doing is a charlatan. K Vonnegut

htheodore
PV Whiz

Unread postby htheodore » Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:22 pm

Same here Kris.
I try to get the kids to "feel" the vault, then I ask them to give me a diagnosis of the vault from their viewpoint. What they felt at the take-off, through the swing, over the bar, where they landed, etc. They start to understand what they did wrong, The "feel" of what they did wrong, and what to do in order to correct the vault. They are not always right on what they feel, so I will let them know what was wrong with the jump. Trying to get them to be self sufficiant in meet situations. Teaching the beginners and mentoring the older vaulters. Well put!

baggettpv
PV Master

Roles

Unread postby baggettpv » Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:29 am

The athlete does not become self sufficient in HS. They become focused on just one or two aspects that will enable them to become successful. Especially at State/nationals. That is why I have had 22 state champs.....I THINK.
Another, I really enjoy watching other coaches trying to make changes in one meet that their athletes have no chance of changing.
Oh well another part of coaching. John Wooden, Do simple things perfectly..

Rick Baggett
WSTC LLC

lonestar
PV Lover

Re: Roles

Unread postby lonestar » Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:56 am

baggettpv wrote:The athlete does not become self sufficient in HS. They become focused on just one or two aspects that will enable them to become successful. Especially at State/nationals. That is why I have had 22 state champs.....I THINK.
Another, I really enjoy watching other coaches trying to make changes in one meet that their athletes have no chance of changing.
Oh well another part of coaching. John Wooden, Do simple things perfectly..

Rick Baggett
WSTC LLC

Granted. I wouldn't think of leaving my kids to fend for themselves in the lion's den of the state meet. By the time that rolls around, they know exactly what they have to do technically and psychologically, and I'm just there to aid in the adjustments. That's why I've had 11 state champs in 5 years. My hope is that I can get them as self-sufficient as possible before they go off to universities without pole vault coaches, unfortunately.
Any scientist who can't explain to an eight-year-old what he is doing is a charlatan. K Vonnegut

htheodore
PV Whiz

Unread postby htheodore » Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:22 am

No, the high school vaulter is not self sufficiant, but teaching them to be self sufficiant will help them if their coach is not at a meet or has gone to another event. Other vaulters can catch their step, but if the vaulter can feel himself overstride, he can make the adjustment. Maybe self sufficiant should be changed to self awarness. Back to the original topic of goal setting. Young vaulters goals are given small goals. Increase in strength such as sit ups, push ups, walking on hands, etc. Other goals are improvement of technical aspects such as the take off and plant. I guess these are my goals rather than their goals.

Return to “Pole Vault - Coaches Forum”