2010 Jammin' & Jumpin' Street Vault August 13th & 14th

A forum to post announcements about clubs, camps, or competitions. Old posts are moved to the appropriate regional forum below. This is also a forum where I make announcements regarding PoleVaultPower.com. All other posts in this forum will be deleted. Please read the descriptions of the forums below, if your post is not a club/camp/competition, it does not belong in this forum.
smtrackclub
PV Fan

2010 Jammin' & Jumpin' Street Vault August 13th & 14th

Unread postby smtrackclub » Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:02 am

The 2010 Jammin' & Jumpin' Street Vault is returning for its 4th year.
This year will be a two day event starting Friday night, then finish up with the Grand Finale featuring the Pro-Elites on Saturday evening. Visit our wesite at http://www.smtrackclub.com to register on-line and watch the 2009 Jammin' & Jumpin' video.

BadMotherVaulter
PV Pro
Expertise: College Vaulter, Volunteer High School Coach
Lifetime Best: 4.35
Favorite Vaulter: Toby Stevenson, Jeff Hartwig

Re: 2010 Jammin' & Jumpin' Street Vault August 13th & 14th

Unread postby BadMotherVaulter » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:29 am

It goes down tomorrow!!! Pretty excited... Its a really cool event, well run.
suck it up.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: 2010 Jammin' & Jumpin' Street Vault August 13th & 14th

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:23 am

http://www.courierpress.com/news/2010/a ... s-soar-in/

Top vaulters soar in street vault
By Kevin Patton
Posted August 15, 2010 at midnight

HENDERSON, Ky. — With the sun setting on the Henderson riverfront, a gathering crowd settled in to watch some of the nation's top pole vaulters bring an end to the two-day Jammin' and Jumpin' Street Vault Saturday night.

Seven vaulters, including some who had cleared 18-feet in competition, were set to square off for prize money in the fourth annual event.

The event started with a bang for Brad Zolke of Louisville. During high school competition early in the afternoon, Zolke snapped his pole in two.

"It was like a gunshot," said Zolke, who added that he had never broken a pole before. "I just overpowered the pole."

Despite the spill, Zolke got back up and made his 12-foot height on his next attempt.

Spectator John Wilke of Henderson noted Zolke's ability to shake off the spill as an example of one of the things he admires about the athletes who compete in the street vault.

"They not only have great athletic ability, but it takes a lot of mental toughness to compete in this sport," Wilke said.

Wilke and David Wilson, also of Henderson, had been watching all of the day's competition, which included high school and college vaulters before the professionals took to the elevated runway on Water Street.

"There's something magical about seeing them flying over the bar," Wilson said. "For two or three seconds, they're just suspended there. For that time, everything just stops."

As part of the street vault program, two-time Olympian Jeff Hartwig conducted a clinic for high school pole vaulters Saturday morning that was moved to an indoor facility in Evansville.

"We had a small group, but I prefer that. I'm able to give each kid a little more personal attention," said Hartwig, who competed in the Olympics in 1996 and 2008. "I hope I'm able to teach them something that will help them down the road. I don't care what they vault today. But it's rewarding for me if I see them a year later and they say I'm vaulting 2 feet higher because of something you told me."

"I thought it was a really nice opportunity. He had some good pointers," said Zolke, who is a senior at St. Xavier High School in Louisville and was one of the participants in Hartwig's clinic. "Just getting to meet him was a good experience."

lll

Results of the street vault were unavailable at press time.

Return to “Website News and Camp/Competition Announcements”