RIP Alan Launder (altius)

A forum to post announcements about clubs, camps, or competitions. Old posts are moved to the appropriate regional forum below. This is also a forum where I make announcements regarding PoleVaultPower.com. All other posts in this forum will be deleted. Please read the descriptions of the forums below, if your post is not a club/camp/competition, it does not belong in this forum.
ahodges
PV Newbie
Lifetime Best: 4.40
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Steve Hooker

RIP Alan Launder

Unread postby ahodges » Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:57 am

vcpvcoach
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach, Parent

Re: RIP Alan Launder (altius)

Unread postby vcpvcoach » Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:46 pm

Alan's passing is a great loss for the pole vault community. His book sits on my end table and I read before every track season.
My prayers go out to his family. Alan will be greatly missed.

May he rest in peace,
Coach Tom Hickey
Illinois

vaultwest
PV Whiz
Expertise: college coach, masters vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.70m
Favorite Vaulter: Toby Stevenson

Unread postby vaultwest » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:21 pm

Sad news. My thoughts are with Alan's family. We have lost a great friend and ambassador for our Event. I first met Alan after I had already read his book. Master (John Altendorf ) and I attended his 2005 Nampa camp as master's vaulters. Alan did not know me and I did not tell him of my background as a coach. I just went as a camper ( my first ever as a camper and not a camp coach) and I had a great time and even learned a thing or two. I may not have agreed entirely with Alan on every point of technique ( maybe only 95%) but I do know that he was the best teacher/coach I have ever met. Even though I have only seen him around ten times in my life at other camps and at the Summit I considered him a great friend that I will miss. I think that many people did not understand him, especially here on PVP. I think if you just take a minute and visualize being at the Summit and watching all those many, many vault competitions going on all at the same time. All that incredible talent and such a huge field of vaulters. And then visualize all the crazy, dangerous, and just plain wrong technical vaults you see, along with a lot of good ones, perhaps you might understand why he was always after us here in the USA to do a better job of coaching our vaulters. I don't want this to be a slam at any coach, my vaulters are in both of those groups, but I know Alan's passion and he just wanted us to do better, I know I will keep trying to be that better coach with Alan in my heart.
Vault On

clymb
PV Newbie
Expertise: Former college vaulter and current coach
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Kjell Isaksson (currently)

Re: RIP Alan Launder

Unread postby clymb » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:35 am

Deeply saddened when I heard the news of Coach Launder's passing. I only knew him from afar as a pole vault coach, from his books and videos, and as his ever motivating and challenging personality here on the PVP message boards ... but I understand that he was a great coach of other track events, as well as a great person who effected a great many people both on and off the track. For a guy like myself, who never formally knew him, he was extremely influential and a great resource. I can't imagine how valuable it would have been to know him. I'm very jealous of those who consider him a mentor. We have all lost a great leader, resource, and mentor in our beloved sport. My condolences to his friends and family. RIP Alan Launder.

decanuck
PV Whiz

Unread postby decanuck » Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:09 pm

The world of pole vault is markedly better off for having had Alan Launder as a part of it. I can't think of anyone who has made as wide an impact on vault coaching.

The quality and depth of BTB and, later, BTB2 is what really got me hooked on pole vault 9-ish years ago. I loved vault, but those books opened up a world of insight and challenge so deep that I don't think I would still be involved with the event if not for them. Now, years later and having become a coach, I'm going through a more typical coach's education process and I'm amazed by how little of it is new to me (even from a non-vault-specific perspective) because of having read the same things years ago in the BTB books.

One thing that always seeped through the pages of his writing was his passion for the event. I was lucky enough to meet Alan in Reno one year. He was sitting chatting with someone in the Nugget hotel lobby and I went over to say hi. He signed a copy of BTB and answered a bunch of questions. I ended up picking his brain for more than half an hour and still left with the impression that he could talk for hours and wouldn't mind in the slightest spending that kind of time with a total stranger that was curious about the event.

My deepest condolences to his loved ones as they remember and celebrate his life.

Tim McMichael
PV Master
Expertise: Current college and private coach. Former elite vaulter.

Unread postby Tim McMichael » Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:27 pm

I just now got this news. There are no words adequate. We have lost one of the true scholars and gentlemen of this sport. Though he could be a curmudgeon, his rough edges were always tempered by his love of the sport and his passion to teach. I loved that old man and I loved him all the more for the many times he challenged my assumptions and theories. I consider him the father of my coaching theory and I will be forever grateful for the gift of his remarkable life.

Eternal rest, grant unto him O Lord
and let perpetual light shine upon him.
May he rest in peace.

Return to “Website News and Camp/Competition Announcements”