Eating- diet

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
SlickVT
PV Follower
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Post-Collegiate Vaulter, College Coach, High School Coach

Unread postby SlickVT » Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:51 pm

czar - I am no expert on the subject, but I have researched and tried and failed at several approaches to being lean.
I would say getting lean in the summer and trying to maintain for a few months is a very difficult thing to do. The spark that got me going was Tim Mack telling me that it is a good idea to be a little heavy at the beginning of the season, due to the fact that traveling and having a very varying schedule makes it hard to eat consistently and get in a regiment. With alot of good vaulters' input and my own experience, I have found that dieting is not necessarily the most important thing to do until crunch time. A few extra pounds in the summer and fall is not the end of the world, and allows for weight to be dropped when you need it to be dropped - championship season.
Average people have a hard time keeping their bodies lean for long periods of time, because naturally, the human body wants to have a fat content that is higher than a vaulter's goal. So peaking your weight loss and body fat with your training is a good thing to think about. Consider dieting strictly a little bit later in the year.

Bing

Vertical Technique Pole Vault Club
Blacksburg, Virginia
verticaltechnique.com

theczar
PV Follower
Expertise: Coach/Former College Athlete
Lifetime Best: 17'1"

Unread postby theczar » Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:06 pm

i see what you're saying, but I think that, for me at least, it would be much harder to lose weight in season. It's not so much that I'm trying to lose wieght right now, I'm just eating better trying to get healthy and a byproduct of being healthy is dropping your BFI by a few degrees. My BFI (body fat index, for those of you not in the "know") is around 11%, which is reletively high for an athlete. my target BFI is 9%, which is about average for athletes. Anyway, my point being that eating better is just plain better for your body, even if you're not trying to shed some pounds.

VaultMarq26
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach,

Unread postby VaultMarq26 » Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:38 pm

Couple things.

1. are you talking about BMI (Body Mass Index) or BF% (Body Fat Percentage)
There is a HUGE difference between the two. BMI is strictly your weight to your height. Very Inaccuate in high level athletes.
Body fat % is just that....the percent of your body that is fat. But you have to realize that there is no way to get 100% accuracy.
Bod Pod or Water density weighing have an error of 2-2.5%......Bioelectrical Impedance methods are second best (3-4%), and Skin fold testing at best is 3-4%

2. I think you are talking about Body fat and not BMI. A BMI of 11% may not even be possible. It would be a 6 foot tall person weighing about 80-85 pounds.
Body fat % for male athlets should be 10 or below, females from 10-15. (THIS IS A GUIDELINE)

3. Reasoning why BMI doesnt' work. I am 5'10" and 176 pounds. That puts my BMI just over 25.....that is considered Overweight.

That being said, my Body Fat Percentage is 4.9% as of a week ago.

4. SlickVT nailed it on the head. If you start season really light, you are gonna have a rough time during the Fall training. If you want to, lose some weight during the summer but plan to put 3-4 pounds on before you start training hard.

Dont' diet either.....workout, eat healthy, and you will most likely see a decrease in body fat.
Man Up and Jump

theczar
PV Follower
Expertise: Coach/Former College Athlete
Lifetime Best: 17'1"

Unread postby theczar » Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:58 am

VaultMarq26 wrote:Couple things.

There is a HUGE difference between the two. BMI is strictly your weight to your height. Very Inaccuate in high level athletes.
Body fat % is just that....the percent of your body that is fat. But you have to realize that there is no way to get 100% accuracy.
Bod Pod or Water density weighing have an error of 2-2.5%......Bioelectrical Impedance methods are second best (3-4%), and Skin fold testing at best is 3-4%

2. I think you are talking about Body fat and not BMI. A BMI of 11% may not even be possible. It would be a 6 foot tall person weighing about 80-85 pounds.
Body fat % for male athlets should be 10 or below, females from 10-15. (THIS IS A GUIDELINE)

3. Reasoning why BMI doesnt' work. I am 5'10" and 176 pounds. That puts my BMI just over 25.....that is considered Overweight.

4. SlickVT nailed it on the head. If you start season really light, you are gonna have a rough time during the Fall training. If you want to, lose some weight during the summer but plan to put 3-4 pounds on before you start training hard.

Dont' diet either.....workout, eat healthy, and you will most likely see a decrease in body fat.

yeah, you're right...I did mean BF%...I always get those mixed up :P

LogIc
PV Fan

Unread postby LogIc » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:12 am

I don’t know about you people, but if I am hungry, I eat what ever hits the spot… ^.^ every now and again I will have eating contests with the other PVers, I am undefeated!!!!! Bring it :D
~>[LogIc]<~

WA Vaulters: It's What We Do

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:46 am

VaultMarq26 wrote:Couple things.

Same here, i am 5'8 about 155-160 as a HS athlete, and i anticipate somewhere in the range of 5'10 175 before all is said and done, and no one looking at me would say im overweight. My dad did a powerpoint with different people, including myself and him, and asked his students who they thought looked overweight, and then he looked at their BMI's. Its completely innacurate. YET in arkansas its a state law that they measure our BMI's in school to tell us if we are fat or not. I dont understand why we dont switch to %.
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:50 am

vault3rb0y wrote:I dont understand why we dont switch to %.

Because it takes more intelligence to be able to test body fat, and well, this is Arkansas you are talking about.

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:57 am

I guess it takes more than hieght and wieght.... ive heard of a lot of different ways to measure BF%, like the little clipper things, underwater submersion, and electric shocks! Anyone know an easier way to do it?

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:07 pm

vault3rb0y wrote:I guess it takes more than hieght and wieght.... ive heard of a lot of different ways to measure BF%, like the little clipper things, underwater submersion, and electric shocks! Anyone know an easier way to do it?

The bodyfat scales are pretty accurate... for obese people.

The bod pod is probably the easiest way to get a pretty accurate result for someone who is athletic, but those are hard to come by.

Calipers are probably the next easiest/accurate, but you have to have someone who knows what they are doing.

jumpbackin
PV Whiz

Unread postby jumpbackin » Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:10 pm

vault3rb0y wrote:I guess it takes more than hieght and wieght.... ive heard of a lot of different ways to measure BF%, like the little clipper things, underwater submersion, and electric shocks! Anyone know an easier way to do it?

Yes. Look down at your bicep, flex it. If you see fiber you are lean enough.

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:34 pm

I cant find my bicep its too small!! lol j/k. Hey i replied to the suppliments post btw.... there are some great website resources that cover most of what you were asking about.

birdi_gurlie
PV Pro

Re: Eating- diet

Unread postby birdi_gurlie » Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:16 am

Ummm...I am in HS so yeah, maybe what I say isn't a great reflection of what's necessary, but I just ate what I want. Then again, I have a super high metabolism so it doesn't seem to bother me much...and before anyone says anything, even if I eat JUNK FOOD it does nothing. I really do need to gain muscle/weight though. I've started eating more protein after a workout, but that's about it. [muscle,preferably.]
Last edited by birdi_gurlie on Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"That's how God's Word vaults across the skies from sunrise to sunset" Psalm 19:6

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”