Eating- diet

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
KYLE ELLIS
PV Lover
Expertise: former college vaulter, Current college coach
Lifetime Best: 5.26
Favorite Vaulter: bubka

Eating- diet

Unread postby KYLE ELLIS » Fri May 25, 2007 11:49 am

Is there any other vaulters who are picky about what they eat? It seems like most college track athletes eat whatever before and after they compete, like going to wendy's the night before. I would figure being light as possible and having as little excess weight would help any sprints and jumps? Any thoughts?
On a whole new level 6-20-09

smokinvaulter1
PV Follower
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Semi Elite Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.55m
Favorite Vaulter: Joe Dial

Unread postby smokinvaulter1 » Fri May 25, 2007 3:31 pm

eat?
what is eating someone tell me what i need to eat. LOL

txpolevaulter_k25
PV Follower
Expertise: Current college decathlete
Lifetime Best: 15'

Unread postby txpolevaulter_k25 » Fri May 25, 2007 4:20 pm

i never eat anything special i usually just eat whatever i feel like, accept mexican food before i vault lol
"Bravery is the ability to get the job done when you are scared to death."

VaultMarq26
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach,

Unread postby VaultMarq26 » Fri May 25, 2007 4:21 pm

I try to eat pretty light.....mostly chicken, fruit, veggies, skim milk, and cereal without added sugar.
Man Up and Jump

mcminkz05
PV Great
Expertise: College Vaulter

Unread postby mcminkz05 » Fri May 25, 2007 5:27 pm

VaultMarq26 wrote:I try to eat pretty light.....mostly chicken, fruit, veggies, skim milk, and cereal without added sugar.

Same here, I am pretty careful about what I eat all the time, but especially around competetion time. Pretty much everything above and turkey sandwiches, wheat thins, and lots of water.
What have you done today to get better?

vballswimvault
PV Wannabe

Unread postby vballswimvault » Fri May 25, 2007 5:47 pm

What works for me is protein two days before, pasta a day before, and then light carbs the day of...

bel142
PV Pro
Expertise: Open Post Collegiate, Collegiate Coach, BS - Kinesiology, MEd - Advanced Level Coaching

Unread postby bel142 » Fri May 25, 2007 5:53 pm

This is my general eating guide…
I try and eat carbs leading up to a comp, I try and stay away from a whole lot of fiber the day of, before I vault, I try to consume fruit and eggs in the morning when I vault.

After work outs, I try and eat protein within 15 min of stopping, trying to hit red meet, tofu, beans or 2% milk. (2% because it has more fat in it than skim… skim has more protein but I needed more fat in my diet)

Generally I try and stay away from things that have more than 5g of fat per serving. Lots of water 2-3 days out of a comp, mixed in with bouts of Gatorade. If your school has a sports nutrionist/dietition, talk to them. Proper nutrition can really be a good thing for vault comps.

VaultMarq26
PV Lover

Unread postby VaultMarq26 » Fri May 25, 2007 6:14 pm

The most important thing that people don't realize is how important it is to eat soon after working out and especially lifting.

The metabolic window to maximize the work you just did is about 15 minutes.

So eat something within 15 minutes of the end of a workout.
Man Up and Jump

Glory
PV Whiz

Unread postby Glory » Thu May 31, 2007 11:13 am

Last time I pr'd i had 2 pieces of sausage pizza and a spicy chicken roll up no joke 30 minutes before i was in the air. I ended up qualifying for nationals and had a great day...food doesn't really affect me that way I guess.

decanuck
PV Whiz

Unread postby decanuck » Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:41 pm

VaultMarq26 wrote:So eat something within 15 minutes of the end of a workout.

Thats right, and that's why I always bring a post-workout shake to the track.

And on top of eating within 15 minutes, the next meal is very important and should come within 1 hour of finishing your workout. People say that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, but, for athletes, its actually the meal immediately following your workout.

VaultMarq26
PV Lover

Unread postby VaultMarq26 » Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:47 pm

It is amazing how helpful proper nutrition is,but most high school and college athletes are too set in thier ways.

"What i am doing works for me"......well, think how much better you would be if you did it the correct way.

Interesting fact......being dehydrated can decrease performance by 5-7%
Man Up and Jump

theczar
PV Follower
Expertise: Coach/Former College Athlete
Lifetime Best: 17'1"

Unread postby theczar » Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:27 pm

unfortunatly for me I didn't keep any kind of diet durring the season, and ended up paying for it in the last month or so. At the dorms where I live. the food is really bad but I don't have a kitchen in my building so I couldn't eat as well as I would have liked. I ended up eating whatever tasted good (very bad idea!). I gained about 6 lbs of fat since the beginning of indoor season until a few weeks ago. My coach and I talked about my diet and I am eating much better now, and have already lost 2 lbs in 1 week of eating right with light workouts. My goal is to drop about 10 lbs by the end of summer, and maintain that durring the entire year.

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”