XC ruin pole vault?

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
VaultPurple
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach, Pole Vault Addict
Favorite Vaulter: Greg Duplantis

Re: XC ruin pole vault?

Unread postby VaultPurple » Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:23 pm

Split wrote:But the thing is, I also do plyometrics and sprint workouts (ladders and 200m repeats and such) to make sure I stay fast. I think XC may have actually helped me be a better sprinter, as it fixed a once awful sprinting formed that I used to have.
I ran a 12.3 during track season in the 100m, and now run an 11.9, with just a fixed form.
So I don't know how it can possibly hinder my abilities now. :confused:

maybe you just had really bad running form and now you hae been doing plyometrics and sprint workouts along with running, So you droped to a 11.9

But if you had not ran any distance, you may have droped more, but there is no real way to prove it, so what ever is working best id stick with it.

Split
PV Master
Expertise: Former HS Vaulter, lifetime enthusiast
Lifetime Best: 11'0"
Favorite Vaulter: Giovanni Lanaro

Unread postby Split » Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:55 pm

That may be true too.
This has really got me questioning whether I should stay in XC or not.
The track head coach is also the pole vault coach, AND the XC coach. I will talk to him about it, and see whether it's best for me to continue to do it.
I never met a pole I didn't like.

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:57 pm

Hey same thing for my coach!

We might get a pretty good idea of the effects on performance if you didn't do cross country and did football, swim prep, volleyball, soccer, etc. Maybe even crew! (Fall sport?)
"I run and jump, and then it's arrrrrgh!" -Bubka

Split
PV Master

Unread postby Split » Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:05 am

I actually did football last year, but pulled my groin so it was pretty much a lost season.
It finally healed in December, so I was already behind when track season started...

Split
PV Master

Unread postby Split » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:38 pm

Ok, I'm done with cross. Today we got to vault a little, and my run was so monotone, I didn't accelerate at all. I ran "like I was pacing myself".
So yeah, tomorrow I'm going to tell the coach (who's also the track head coach and vaulting coach) that I have to stop. :no:

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:35 am

SAID. Specific Adaptations for Imposed Demands. Your body figured out that most of your running required pacing and a certain stride, and the rest is history... ;)

Split
PV Master

Unread postby Split » Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:52 pm

powerplant42 wrote:SAID. Specific Adaptations for Imposed Demands. Your body figured out that most of your running required pacing and a certain stride, and the rest is history... ;)

Now...what kind of workouts should I do to get it back???

KYLE ELLIS
PV Lover
Expertise: former college vaulter, Current college coach
Lifetime Best: 5.26
Favorite Vaulter: bubka

Unread postby KYLE ELLIS » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:19 pm

If you are talking about now, i would recomend a modified sprint phase for august and september (like 2 days a week) august do some 100' or 60's, then september do a high volume of 60's and flying 30's, or flying 15's... Then October you can start doing some speed endurance stuff like 200's+or- to develop a base before competing.
On a whole new level 6-20-09

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:58 pm

Try doing field tests too. Be competetive with yourself. Long jump, flying 20's, standing long jump, standing vertical, etc. This is good all around preparation.

Split
PV Master

Unread postby Split » Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:00 pm

Yeah, next week we're starting a vault "program".
We're sprinting and long jumping a bit monday, doing a pole runs and drills tuesday, strength workout wednesday, and actual vaulting on thursday.

And then I will take a week off September to try and forget everything that I learned in cross, and then start over again the following week.

birdi_gurlie
PV Pro

Unread postby birdi_gurlie » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:04 pm

I don't think XC hurts vaulters...
Our two best girl vaulters last year [9'6" as a sophomore, 8'6" as a freshman] and our two best guys [Both 10'6", if I remember correctly, sophomore and junior] ran XC last year, and three of them did it this year. Not only that, two of them are in the top 7. (We have about 50-ish people on our team, split about equally betwen guys and girls...but a little bit more girls than guys.) Also, as for the "hurting sprints", I don't know if I agree about that...one of our best sprinters [made it to states both indoor and out, 55m {at states}=7.54, 100m=12.82] is an XC runner, and she's FAST. She does the 55m, 100m, 200m, etc... and she's fine. I dont think it harms much, if at all.
"That's how God's Word vaults across the skies from sunrise to sunset" Psalm 19:6

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:48 pm

Have you read my post on the 'screwed' thread?

Please realize you are speaking in terms relative to your 'group'... sure, you could have two guys jump 10'6" and be excellent cross country runners, but could you have two excellent cross country runners that jump 16'+? It is extremely unlikely that that will happen, especially in high school. Besides, you did not even say that they were any good at long distance running. What does that say to you?

There are anomolies, of course. Whoever you're referring to as the female sprinter might possibly be one. But how good at cross country is she? "FAST" means a lot of things... What are her best 5k times?

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”