Weightlifting..?

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
CVBigRedBlondie05
PV Newbie

Weightlifting..?

Unread postby CVBigRedBlondie05 » Sun Nov 10, 2002 10:31 pm

I just started pole vaulting last year and my coach never had us work out in the weightroom, and i want to begin training now for the season, so i was wondering what i should concentrate on and what exercises i should do??? if you could help me i would greatly appreciate it! :)

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Nov 10, 2002 10:59 pm

Olympic Lifts. Cleans are the best you can do. They work your whole body. If you don't know how to do them, make sure you find someone who can teach you how to do them properly so you don't hurt yourself.

CoachenField
PV Beginner

Unread postby CoachenField » Wed Nov 13, 2002 1:03 am

pullups, push ups and dips are good strength too if you are just starting in the weight room. then handstand push ups or walking on your hands. then don't forget your abs - leg L's, double leg eagles, roll backs, v-sits.
but cleans are an awesome lift and everyone should do them, they make you an explosive athlete. then if you know any gymnastics, also good stuff, i could go on and on but, well, you might get bored with me. here are just some ideas...

CVBigRedBlondie05
PV Newbie

thanks, but

Unread postby CVBigRedBlondie05 » Sun Nov 17, 2002 3:29 pm

what are cleans? i'm the only person who haas ever pole vaulted in my school, so basically all this stuff is new, and now i have to help get other ppl in shape who want to pole vault.. so any help you can give me i would greatly appreciate it!! :D

Robert schmitt
PV Lover

Unread postby Robert schmitt » Sun Nov 17, 2002 6:08 pm

Cleans are a very explosive lift of a barbell from a "squat" position with the barbell on the floor to a standing position with the barebell at shoulder level with your arms in a position to press the bar above your head. It is similar to the olympic lift the clean and jerk. Go to the closest gym and ask a trainer to explain to you how to do them. Usually they are more than willing to share thier knowledge with you even if you are not a member. You want to make sure you are doing these correctly b/c it is so easy to tear up your low back esp. near the end of the work out when you get fatigued and use any means to move the wieght.

Having said that word of caution these are great for building explosive power, just make sure you are doing them correctly

VaultFreak
PV Whiz

Unread postby VaultFreak » Sun Nov 17, 2002 6:12 pm

I lift weights, but I am no expert. But, my coach says that whatever you do, you should do it with dumbells not barbells.
Pole Vaulters get high!

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”