run...

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
birdi_gurlie
PV Pro

run...

Unread postby birdi_gurlie » Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:52 am

So, when I run, I tend to 'clomp" my feet on the ground by putting a lot of pressure...it's very audible. I've heard that I need to put less pressure on the ground when I run, because it's wasting energy and killing my speed. However, when I try to put less pressure, I have to go on my toes in order to stop. This in turn makes it hard to use high knees without my speed dying.

Any ideas?
"That's how God's Word vaults across the skies from sunrise to sunset" Psalm 19:6

ACvault
PV Pro
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Re: run...

Unread postby ACvault » Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:46 am

birdi_gurlie wrote:So, when I run, I tend to 'clomp" my feet on the ground by putting a lot of pressure...it's very audible. I've heard that I need to put less pressure on the ground when I run, because it's wasting energy and killing my speed. However, when I try to put less pressure, I have to go on my toes in order to stop. This in turn makes it hard to use high knees without my speed dying.

Any ideas?

1) Yes, it is a bad thing you clomp your feet. The ground is sucking up energy you need to put into your vault.
2) When you are vaulting, and for that matter running sprint workouts, you need to run on your toes.
3) Proper running mechanics in the vault are achieved by staying tall, on your toes, and having a powerful run. You also do need good knee lift.
4) No one here can really help you without seeing some video. I think your best option is to work with the sprint coach at your high school and have him or her help you achieve the correct running form.
5) Running drills (such as high knees, a-skip, b-skip, etc.) will only help you so much if at all. You need someone there with you watching and helping you with your run, hence my suggestion to talk with your sprints coach.

Noah C
PV Beginner
Expertise: High School Vaulter

Unread postby Noah C » Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:48 pm

My freshmen year, our track coach emphasized a lot of sprint drills and fast twitch drills before practice as part of our warm up routine. I think that helped a lot in all of our running form. Also he yelled out "dorsal flex! Knee drive!" while we ran. that probably helped too lol

birdi_gurlie
PV Pro

Unread postby birdi_gurlie » Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:02 pm

Thanks!
I'm trying to run on my toes with less "clomping".
However, my high knees screw up my running, and my running screws up my high knees, which screws up my plant.
:S
I'll try to get a video of normal run w/ high knees, on toes w/ high knees, and on toes w/o high knees to explain. We have practice monday.
"That's how God's Word vaults across the skies from sunrise to sunset" Psalm 19:6

ACvault
PV Pro
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Unread postby ACvault » Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:38 pm

birdi_gurlie wrote:Thanks!
I'm trying to run on my toes with less "clomping".
However, my high knees screw up my running, and my running screws up my high knees, which screws up my plant.
:S
I'll try to get a video of normal run w/ high knees, on toes w/ high knees, and on toes w/o high knees to explain. We have practice monday.

Your high knees do not "screw up" your run or vice versa. As a beginner (which I think you are, I apologize if I am mistaken) you are not yet comfortable with efficient mechanics. Your comfort zone is simply sprinting towards the box. Once you get down the proper approach you will be amazed at how much stronger you feel on the runway and how quickly you will improve. As most coaches on this forum will tell you, the vault does not begin with the takeoff, it begins with the very first step you take. The point is that the things that happen from takeoff on are a direct result of your run.

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:27 pm

Get film of the 80% drill I've been talking to you about for the past 2 months! :idea:
"I run and jump, and then it's arrrrrgh!" -Bubka

EIUvltr
PV Pro
Expertise: Ex-collegiate pole vaulter B.S. Exercise Science ACSM personal trainer

Unread postby EIUvltr » Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:37 am

Wow. Ok... You are supposed to apply as much force (or pressure) to the ground as possible, if you aren't then you won't move. Ask Newton. However the way in which you apply force is very important. From what it sounds like, your feet are striking the ground in front of your body instead of under it which causes that slapping sound. The problem with this is that it causes a breaking force every single time you take a step. Your goal when running is to have your feet strike the ground almost directly in front of your body and pull backwards which makes your body go fowards.

As for the advice about running on your toes, well thats just completely wrong. You should run with your ankles dorsiflexed and have the balls of your feet striking the ground, NOT your toes.
"If he dies, he dies"

birdi_gurlie
PV Pro

Unread postby birdi_gurlie » Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:34 pm

As for the advice about running on your toes, well thats just completely wrong. You should run with your ankles dorsiflexed and have the balls of your feet striking the ground, NOT your toes.

That's what I meant...but I'm used to that being "on your toes" for sprints and such. Basically, heels don't hit the ground.

Split
PV Master
Expertise: Former HS Vaulter, lifetime enthusiast
Lifetime Best: 11'0"
Favorite Vaulter: Giovanni Lanaro

Unread postby Split » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:37 pm

One thing I remember being taught last year was doing "close the gaps" (like butt kicks but less exagerated). They basically kept the foot dorsi-flexed and high knees, and are similar to how youre supposed to run when you vault.
I never met a pole I didn't like.

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:30 am

by Split on Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:37 pm

"One thing I remember being taught last year was doing "close the gaps" (like butt kicks but less exagerated). They basically kept the foot dorsi-flexed and high knees, and are similar to how youre supposed to run when you vault."

Looks like you could definitely do with that clinic we have talked about!!!!! :D :yes:
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”