PULL UPS

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
gymnastsrock
PV Master
Expertise: College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 11'
Favorite Vaulter: too hard!

Re: PULL UPS

Unread postby gymnastsrock » Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:16 pm

powerplant42 wrote:I started doing them with both legs out straight... a real killer on basically the whole body! (Arms, back, abs, hip flexors, and technically the quads too...) :yes:

Oh yeah! We did those all the time at gym. And just holds like that too. There was a girl on my team who was actually pretty good at it, but she would shake almost the whole time. It was kind of funny...

And I can do 17 regular pull ups, but that's from 13 years of gymnastics and having a pull up bar in my house from the age of 9 on so it's not like it's coming from nowhere.

Pull up pullovers anyone? We did a crapload of those. Instead of just getting your chin over the bar, you pull your entire body up and over. To get out of it, you roll forward slowly, controlling it the whole time until your arms are fully extended again. 10 in a row was in the bar part of our warm up series(and then we'd do more during conditioning and when we were actually on the bars rotation yay), as were 10 bubkas (though we didn't call them that), 5 kips in a row on each the low and high bar, 3 clearhip circles in a row on each bar, 10 casts ( supposed to be handstands) and 5 one tap swing flyaways.
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. Lao Tzu

Lax PV
PV Follower
Expertise: Former HS and college vaulter, college and HS level coaching, CSCS certified
Lifetime Best: 475
Favorite Vaulter: Tarasov

Unread postby Lax PV » Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:58 am

I don't think I ever did clap pull ups. For a while we did them where we let go of the bar on top, switched our hands and caught ourselves in a chin up position with our elbows at 90 degrees...interesting at least...

I agree with Becca, if you can do 15-20, the next 10 are not going to make you pole vault higher. That said, I would suggest from a training stand point, vary your grip, put a dumbbell between your feet, etc.

As far as it being bad for a pole vaulter, I disagree. It obviously is not a direct movement translation of the vault (neither is a dead lift or a back squat but people still do those...), but its a great metric of relative strength--I don't think its going to make you jump uber high if you are good at them or not, but a good metric.

For sake of the survey, I think the most I ever did was 17 or 18.

sooch90
PV Pro
Expertise: College Vaulter

Unread postby sooch90 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:57 pm

how do upright rows and upside down pull ups mimic the pull part of the vault? Maybe I've been vaulting wrong or something, but isn't the "pull through" part simply dropping the shoulders and punching up the hips? The arms stay straight throughout this part doesn't it? It's only after the inversion, and as you begin to come off the pole does your arm bend to allow your body to move through. However, this doesn't require you to forcibly pull with your arms (like doing a Bubka) right?

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:14 am

sooch90 wrote:how do upright rows and upside down pull ups mimic the pull part of the vault? Maybe I've been vaulting wrong or something, but isn't the "pull through" part simply dropping the shoulders and punching up the hips? The arms stay straight throughout this part doesn't it? It's only after the inversion, and as you begin to come off the pole does your arm bend to allow your body to move through. However, this doesn't require you to forcibly pull with your arms (like doing a Bubka) right?

When you say "dropping the shoulders", I know what you mean, but you know that you actually don't DROP the shoulders. If your top arm is already fully stretched, you can't "drop" the shoulders any lower than they are already. So what you mean is that you FEEL like your shoulders are dropping ... since the pole is bending as you're swinging.

Now by "punching up the hips", I think I know what you mean, but again ... "punching" is probably not the best word to describe it ... especially if you're following the Petrov Model. SWINGING up the hips would be more accurate.

To answer your questions about "upright rows" and "upside down pullups", these actions refer to what the ARMS are doing.

The ROW is like rowing a canoe. It's pulling your top arm in that action ... along with your bottom arm in a similar but shortened action. Note that in the canoe row, your top arm doesn't bend much ... until the powerful part of the stroke (with the paddle in the water) is complete. This is how you finish your swing, if you lack the momentum to completely invert your body by your swing speed alone. It's not true Petrov, but for most "mere mortals" who don't have a perfect swing, it's how you must finish your swing to get fully inverted ... in line with the pole. It's a muscular action, so is not as efficient as a swinging action. The better you get at swinging, the less you'll have to row.

The "pull through" which you train for with "upside down pull ups" is mostly the action of straightening your back. You're right about not bending your arms until you're fully inverted ... and your back is completely straight and in line with the pole (vertical). What you may be missing is realising how much POWER you have in your back muscles. Your core is MUCH stronger than your biceps. So you want to propel your body upwards using your BACK as much as you can, and then just finish the "extension” by using your biceps. And yes ... it’s like doing a Bubka. Personally, I think it feels quite a bit like the "clean" part of a clean-and-jerk, or the "extension" part of a shoot-to-a-handstand on the highbar.

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

superpipe
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Masters Vaulter, Club Coach, High School Coach, Parent
Favorite Vaulter: Who else, Bubka.

Unread postby superpipe » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:14 am

Petrov stated the pole vault is a "continuous chain motion". That means you ( the vaulter ) never stop applying energy to the system. If you don't pull ( after you're fully inverted ), you essentially stopped applying energy to the system and are, what they call, "riding the pole". I always tell my athletes, "Never stop moving". You never want to be "riding the pole", "waiting" or anything else where you've stopped putting energy into the system, at any point in the vault.
Chris Mitchell
MitchellPro Vault Club

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:27 am

Last year at one point before my workouts, about 2 weeks before nat's so i was starting to peak, i did exactly 20 pull ups (hands facing outward, locked arms at the bottom and chin over the bar at the top). The key isnt being strong enough, it's doing them fast enough that your muscles dont get fatigued too quickly. You can only hang on a bar and strain your muscles for so many seconds, and after about 40 you are realllyyyy going to slow down. I have done 16-17 clap pull ups for that reason, because you dont have to go all the way down and its all about speed. (p.s. powerplant it does more than get girls over to the pull up bar, ive seen a girl do 10 pull up claps :yes: ).

And yea its not a vault specific action but in that case, why run long distance or do squats below 45 degrees? It's about gaining an all-around fitness level iMHO.
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:13 pm

vault3rb0y wrote:And yea its not a vault specific action but in that case, why run long distance or do squats below 45 degrees? It's about gaining an all-around fitness level iMHO.

This.

They're not vault specific, but they do work a lot of muscles you need in the vault, even if not in vault specific ways, and give you a good foundation to be able to do lots of other vault specific skills on the bars. Plus they give you all-around strength that could potentially prevent shoulder injuries.

I also agree that clapping pullups are even better than regular. Speed is good. Since like 99% of girls can't do clapping pullups, what you can do is a modified version. Find a bar that is low, like waist level or lower. Hang below it and stick your legs out in front of you, so it's almost like an upside down pushup. If that's easy, only put your weight on one foot.

BobbyMoVault
PV Newbie
Expertise: College Vaulter, High School Coach, Fan

Unread postby BobbyMoVault » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:05 am

I agree with Becca... we do a lot of stuff at school that seems like it would do nothing, but the next day we are sore in places we never knew existed. Has anyone ever done muscle-ups? I got to 15 and was dead tired
"Pole vaulting is 90% mental...The other half is physical."

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:02 pm

15 muscle ups is un-freaking-believable if you are going back to back. Heck... doing 15 totally in a day would be a workout!
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

fx
PV Whiz

Unread postby fx » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:18 pm

I just learned them, but my best is 4 in a row. Can't keep my hands from cramping though.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:39 pm

Since most people can't do muscle-ups, here are some ways to spot them:

The person doing the muscle-ups needs to keep their body rigid and legs straight. For weaker athletes, have two spotters, one on each side. Each spotter bends down and grabs a foot the way a cheerleader would (palms under the foot, one hand curving up to the toes, the other to the heel), then assists the athlete up. For a stronger athlete one spotter could grab a foot, or could just grab the legs.

BobbyMoVault
PV Newbie
Expertise: College Vaulter, High School Coach, Fan

Unread postby BobbyMoVault » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:57 am

Yeah it was a lot, we were having a competition to see who could do the most. I got to 10 and and just kept going.. i thought my arms were going to fall off haha
"Pole vaulting is 90% mental...The other half is physical."

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”