PULL UPS

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
michaelcantu88
PV Newbie
Expertise: former highschool vaulter,current college vaulter
Lifetime Best: 14'3
Favorite Vaulter: toby stevenson

Re: PULL UPS

Unread postby michaelcantu88 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:06 pm

well i weigh 130 and my max bench is 200. after football season when my body was at my strongest i did 15 real pull ups! it was for some stupid test thing the school was doing and the coaches watched me and made sure that i did them right so thats y i say they where real. so its not out the picture if ppl can do 15 or more its jus hard haha my arms pretty much fell off when i was done :P
leave nothing

VaultPurple
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach, Pole Vault Addict
Favorite Vaulter: Greg Duplantis

Unread postby VaultPurple » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:57 pm

wow yeah guy that said 15 muscle ups, props to you. I can do 30 pull ups but can barely do one muscle up. Guess its just diffrent muscles.

H.I.S.
PV Fan
Expertise: OCDPV
Favorite Vaulter: Howard Booth

Unread postby H.I.S. » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:12 pm

dead hang pull ups = 23
kipping pull ups = 39
muscle ups/consecutive/highbar =13
muscle ups/consecutive/rings = 0 (so much harder) I seen a 7 year old kid do 1o, but he was cheating a little

the key to a muscle up is the grip, once someone showed me the right way to grip the high bar they were easy

some cross fit works are trying to do as many muscle ups as you can in 20 minutes. i tried to pace myself and do 2 every minute which was a great workout and i was able to finish it

There are a thousand work outs we do which are not vault specific but are needed to maintain an overall athleticism
"Today I give my all, what I keep is lost forever"

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:45 pm

i can do exactly 1 muscle up on the rings :).

Dead hang palms out- MAYBE 14, my wrists give before my arms

w/ kip- probably in the 20s

clap pull-ups- 14 (only going back down to parallel)

muscle ups- only like 3. Might be a trick im not realizing, i dont kip at all.
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

tsorenson
PV Pro
Expertise: masters vaulter, former college vaulter, volunteer HS/club coach, fan, parent

Unread postby tsorenson » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:49 pm

Forget pull-ups...try doing a "campus board" workout at your local climbing gym. Definitely engages the core and is fairly fun...will make you a strong rock climber, as well. Here's a clip of a dude going ballistic on a campus board...catching yourself on the way down is as good for strength building as pulling up...sort of like pliometrics for your upper body and core.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9PvXqQexug

All you vaulters going stir-crazy in the off-season, try out some climbing (especially bouldering) at your local rock gym or better yet, outside if you have rock in your area...great cross training for the vault, and a lot more fun than pull ups or weight lifting. If you are already very strong from vaulting be careful that you don't tear a finger tendon...start slow and build up.

As a climber, I gave up pull ups a long time ago in favor of excercises that are more beneficial, like this. I agree with others who recommended straight rows and upside down rope climbing as well
Cheers,
TS

H.I.S.
PV Fan

Unread postby H.I.S. » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:36 pm

we dont have a campus board, but we do the same kind of drill on an univrsal strength apparatus (U.S.A.) its basically a heavy duty agility ladder which you hang from the cieling and climb up and down.

here's a clip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EfqAmpL2Yk
we also do TRX suspension training

http://www.fitnessanywhere.com/trx-reso ... 5wodJHDWjA

H.I.S.
PV Fan

Unread postby H.I.S. » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:40 pm

heres a better clip of the climbs we do(this is not me or my athletes)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8KNJ2Qe-Qk

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:59 pm

I've never seen a campus board or a Universal Strenth Apparatus before, but I like them. But to me, they're just an alternative to rope climbing ... to vary your routine.

I'd like to see someone climb the USA upside down, just as you would climb a rope upside down. That would excercise the proper PV muscles, IMHO.

Really, I think a rope is best for vaulters. It has the added advantage of strengthening your grip as you climb upside down ... more than a USA or campus board.

The USA is a nice idea as a product ... it's not like you can sell a rope. ;) But a rope is better for vaulters.

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:55 pm

michaelcantu88 wrote:well i weigh 130 and my max bench is 200. after football season when my body was at my strongest i did 15 real pull ups! it was for some stupid test thing the school was doing and the coaches watched me and made sure that i did them right so thats y i say they where real. so its not out the picture if ppl can do 15 or more its jus hard haha my arms pretty much fell off when i was done :P

Also realize that when you do 15 pull ups you are not only working different parts of your muscles than in a 1rep bench max, you are building different KINDS of muscles!

Doing 15 pullups probably takes what, 30+ seconds? Working that long fatigues your muscles, and it will build the metabolism of your muscle fibers more than purely large muscle fibers that you get from a 1 rep max in bench. The guys that can do 30 pull-ups might not even have a high bench max, but their muscles have excellent metabolism and endurance, similar to a boxer's muscles. Its similar to saying that because you can run a fast 40 time that you can run a fast 800 as well... it's just different. :) just so ya know.
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”