What are your personal records?:Weight lifting

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
Riley Crosby
PV Wannabe

What are your personal records?:Weight lifting

Unread postby Riley Crosby » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:32 pm

Body Weight:168lb
height:6'3 1/2''
Body Fat %: 4

Power Clean 280
Power Clean & Jerk 240
Power Snatch 195
Bench Press 225
Squat 405

what are yours?
-Riley
-Riley Crosby

kcvault
PV Pro
Expertise: College vaulter, post collegiate vaulter, BA kinesiology,
Lifetime Best: 5.40m
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Annie Burlingham

Re: What are your personal records?:Weight lifting

Unread postby kcvault » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:14 pm

Power Clean 280
Power Clean & Jerk 240
Power Snatch 195
Bench Press 225
Squat 405

Wow you have a very good body strength to weight ratio especially for a 18 year old.

Anyway here are mine.

height 5'11"
Body weight:185
power clean 270
clean jerk 230
power snatch 205
Incline press 240
bench press 275
full squat 305

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:31 pm

It's interesting that your PRs are within 10, except for bench press and full squat. I wonder if you're comparing apples to apples ... as there's more than one way to press or squat?

I don't know what you 2 mean by "full squat", but I caution you to not go too deep down on the squat ... it can tear your knees ... and it doesn't really give you any additional strength where you need it. A half-squat (thighs parallel to the ground) is all that's necessary ... IMHO.

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

VaultPurple
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach, Pole Vault Addict
Favorite Vaulter: Greg Duplantis

Unread postby VaultPurple » Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:54 am

what is surprising is KC's 305 squat? Didn't you say you had a 48inch run up vertical? I mean its not linear or nothing, just figured would be higher.

Pogo Stick
PV Pro
Expertise: Former "College" Vaulter, Masters Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.70/15'5
Favorite Vaulter: Władysław Kozakiewicz

Unread postby Pogo Stick » Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:14 am

And here are mine, from last century:
age 20-25
height: 1.77m (5'10")
weight: 72-74kg (159-163lb)

Code: Select all

lift           PB (kg)   PB (lb)
clean & jerk    95        209
snatch          85        187
bench press    102.5      226
squat          160        353
deep squat     120        265
-- Pogo

"It is not necessary to change. Survival is not mandatory." W. Edwards Deming

kcvault
PV Pro

Unread postby kcvault » Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:39 am

what is surprising is KC's 305 squat? Didn't you say you had a 48inch run up vertical? I mean its not linear or nothing, just figured would be higher.

One of the big reasons this is low is that I do squats to the floor. However jumping has a lot more to do with power clings, snatches, and push press then it has to do with squats. Also I can do standing calf raises with over 600 pounds and leg press with over 800 pounds I just have a weak back. Also I said running vertical which means I don't jump with power but with technique, My standing vertical is only 36 inches my running vertical off two feet is 42 inches and my running vertical off one foot is 48 inches.

Doing squats to the floor is not bad as long as you put the weight on your heels, this makes it to where your quads, glutes and hamstrings are taking most the weight. It is actually proven to help prevent knee injuries adding added flexibility and muscle to cushion the joints in fact after about a month of full squats I have known many people to say they no longer feel there tendinitis, however if you lean forward when doing squats and get up on your toes you put all the pressure on your knees which means going into a full squat when doing them like this can cause serious knee injuries. So my point is when doing squats, cleans, snatches be on you heels where your strong not leaning forward.

--Kasey

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:06 pm

kcvault wrote: Doing squats to the floor is not bad as long as you put the weight on your heels ...

OK, I'll take your word for this, since I've never tried them that way myself.

kcvault wrote: ... when doing squats, cleans, snatches be on you heels where your strong not leaning forward.

But I'm still not convinced of the BENEFIT of doing FULL SQUATS. It doesn't simulate any sprinting or vault part, so why do you need that strength.

I guess I just don't understand your tendonitis angle. :confused:

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

kcvault
PV Pro

Unread postby kcvault » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:18 pm

ut I'm still not convinced of the BENEFIT of doing FULL SQUATS. It doesn't simulate any sprinting or vault part, so why do you need that strength.

Deep squats are more of a preventative injury thing then anything else. Many of my classes say that an individual should not do plyometrics unless they can do a full squat with one and a half times there body weight. By getting a full range of motion you are increasing flexibility and building allot of muscle that cushions your knee on impact. Around the middle or end of season doing squats the way you are saying is definitely more beneficial to devolving fast twitch muscles, but in the summer and pre season the full range of motion is a great way to prevent knee injuries in the future. Just like in the pre season you would probably do a full cling but around the time when you want to peak you would probably do a hang cling because the goal then is speed.

---Kasey

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:52 pm

Good explanation Kasey. It's important to understand the big picture of periodization.

Riley Crosby
PV Wannabe

Unread postby Riley Crosby » Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:44 pm

My technique in squat is to get the tops of my legs parallel with the floor.
I work out every day and I do 3 different leg work outs per week (5 days). On mondays I do normal squats, where my legs are parallel with the floor. Along with various auxiliaries like zurcher squat, standing calf press, calf press, weighted quick feet, plyometrics, Weighted plyometrics ect. When I train the Power Clean&Jerk on wednesdays, I do "Drop Cleans" and Split leg Jerk. This is where you drop down below 90 degrees then stand up. The I do Auxiliaries like front squat and pull ups (close&wide grip) and others. Then on Fridays I do "Box Squat". this is where I take a bench and put power clean weights under it so when I sit on the bench my legs are exactly 90 degrees. This lift is done in a sitting/standing motion. And I repeat the same Auxiliaries from monday.I work out very hard. I think this is the reason my squat is at 405.

The way I see it, any kind of strength increase, when doing any type of lift will make me a better pole vaulter. Even though the "deep squat" does not mimic any movements in the pole vault, it feels like it is working my muscles harder. Which in the long run will make me stronger which will make me run faster/jump higher which will help me pole vault higher. Does that make any sense at all?
-Riley
-Riley Crosby

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:14 pm

"I work out every day and I do 3 different leg work outs per week (5 days). On mondays I do normal squats, where my legs are parallel with the floor. Along with various auxiliaries like zurcher squat, standing calf press, calf press, weighted quick feet, plyometrics, Weighted plyometrics ect. When I train the Power Clean&Jerk on wednesdays, I do "Drop Cleans" and Split leg Jerk. This is where you drop down below 90 degrees then stand up. The I do Auxiliaries like front squat and pull ups (close&wide grip) and others. Then on Fridays I do "Box Squat". this is where I take a bench and put power clean weights under it so when I sit on the bench my legs are exactly 90 degrees. This lift is done in a sitting/standing motion. And I repeat the same Auxiliaries from monday.I work out very hard. I think this is the reason my squat is at 405."

Are you hoping to become a better pole vaulter or a shot putter? :idea:
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

KYLE ELLIS
PV Lover
Expertise: former college vaulter, Current college coach
Lifetime Best: 5.26
Favorite Vaulter: bubka

Unread postby KYLE ELLIS » Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:45 pm

Riley Crosby wrote:My technique in squat is to get the tops of my legs parallel with the floor.
I work out every day and I do 3 different leg work outs per week (5 days). On mondays I do normal squats, where my legs are parallel with the floor. Along with various auxiliaries like zurcher squat, standing calf press, calf press, weighted quick feet, plyometrics, Weighted plyometrics ect. When I train the Power Clean&Jerk on wednesdays, I do "Drop Cleans" and Split leg Jerk. This is where you drop down below 90 degrees then stand up. The I do Auxiliaries like front squat and pull ups (close&wide grip) and others. Then on Fridays I do "Box Squat". this is where I take a bench and put power clean weights under it so when I sit on the bench my legs are exactly 90 degrees. This lift is done in a sitting/standing motion. And I repeat the same Auxiliaries from monday.I work out very hard. I think this is the reason my squat is at 405.

The way I see it, any kind of strength increase, when doing any type of lift will make me a better pole vaulter. Even though the "deep squat" does not mimic any movements in the pole vault, it feels like it is working my muscles harder. Which in the long run will make me stronger which will make me run faster/jump higher which will help me pole vault higher. Does that make any sense at all?
-Riley

No, actually not at all. Running faster and jumping higher is all about rate of force, if doing a billion squats would make you that much faster or jump that much higher, than everyone would look like arnold.... You would actually be better off playing basketball everyday, that would be more sport specific. Look at basketball players some of the quickest highest jumping athletes, do they squat everyday?? No the play basketball..There are even studies that show that improving maximal strength in "squats" can decrease your power output. I have my kids do full squats (correctly) in the beginning of the year because you do have to reach a certain level of flexibility/ core strength/ and stabilizers do even do a correct squat.
It's all about the coupling phase!!!!!!!!!!!!
On a whole new level 6-20-09

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”