What are your personal records?:Weight lifting

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
pvfire
PV Beginner

Re: What are your personal records?:Weight lifting

Unread postby pvfire » Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:13 pm

mine are all from my best jumping year
Age 22-23
Height 5-7/5-8
Weight 140 +/- 2lbs.

Squat 325 lb
bench 175 lb
Clean 190/195 lb (projected) 3 x 180 lb (actual)
Clean Jerk 165 lb
Snatch 135 lb

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:46 pm

by pvfire » Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:13 pm

'mine are all from my best jumping year.'

May I ask how high did you jump in competition that year? Would appreciate it everyone else who puts up their lifting performances also indicated how high they had vaulted when they acheive those lifts.
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

VaultMarq26
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach,

Unread postby VaultMarq26 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:23 pm

A couple years after I finished competing competitively in the NCAA I had personal records in both. I cleaned 280 lbs (127KG) and jumped a PR of 15' 9"(4.80).

I think one idea that my be getting looked over with this whole tread is that, although being more powerful will likely give you the ability to jump higher, it won't make any difference if your technique doesn't improve. This had probably been mentioned, but I didn't read through the whole thread.
Man Up and Jump

pvfire
PV Beginner

Unread postby pvfire » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:57 pm

my best year:
4.80 (15-9)
on a 14-6 165

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:29 pm

"it won't make any difference if your technique doesn't improve." Exactly -this is a topic that has been dealt with many times but the notion that you would be better off perfecting elements of technique -such as the planting action -instead of pumping weights beyond a certain basic level, does not seem to get across to many vaulters.
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

IAmTheWalrus
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current College Coach, Aspiring to be Elite Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.06m

Unread postby IAmTheWalrus » Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:38 pm

altius wrote:"it won't make any difference if your technique doesn't improve." Exactly -this is a topic that has been dealt with many times but the notion that you would be better off perfecting elements of technique -such as the planting action -instead of pumping weights beyond a certain basic level, does not seem to get across to many vaulters.

I think the reason for that is a desire to maximize potential. I think that if you choose to focus on strength as opposed to technique, you will lose out big time, but I would imagine most serious vaulters (and I count myself among those numbers) want to be as technically proficient and as athletic as possible. I mean if Bubka's technique is what we all aspire to have, then in order to best his marks we need to have technique equivalent to his but be equally or more athletic than him.
-Nick

EIUvltr
PV Pro
Expertise: Ex-collegiate pole vaulter B.S. Exercise Science ACSM personal trainer

Unread postby EIUvltr » Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:07 am

IAmTheWalrus wrote:
altius wrote:"it won't make any difference if your technique doesn't improve." Exactly -this is a topic that has been dealt with many times but the notion that you would be better off perfecting elements of technique -such as the planting action -instead of pumping weights beyond a certain basic level, does not seem to get across to many vaulters.

I think the reason for that is a desire to maximize potential. I think that if you choose to focus on strength as opposed to technique, you will lose out big time, but I would imagine most serious vaulters (and I count myself among those numbers) want to be as technically proficient and as athletic as possible. I mean if Bubka's technique is what we all aspire to have, then in order to best his marks we need to have technique equivalent to his but be equally or more athletic than him.

Balance is needed along with proper coaching in both the weight room and the track. Pole vaulters will never surpass being considered intermediate lifters, and if you do then you're spending too much time in the weight room. People look at power lifter workouts and olympic lifter workouts and say "oooo they do this, that's what i'm gonna do." Not realizing that a professional weight lifter spends almost 100% of his workload capacity lifting weights. A pole vaulter can't do this because we have technique work, speed work and conditioning to fit in as well. Unless you are so close to pole vault mastery that you need to use block periodization to train each bio-motor ability in the pole vault separately (which no one on this forum is), then you shouldn't ever have a time in the year where you are more focused on the weights than on your running and vaulting technique.
"If he dies, he dies"

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:28 am

altius wrote:the notion that you would be better off perfecting elements of technique -such as the planting action -instead of pumping weights beyond a certain basic level, does not seem to get across to many vaulters.

Most of the younger kids who come on here don't have access to any sort of pole vaulting or even poles 9 months out of the year. Yeah maybe they can practice the plant motion in their living room with a broomstick or something, but you can't blame them for wanting to improve as much as possible, and many of them do need to get stronger to achieve their goals.

KYLE ELLIS
PV Lover
Expertise: former college vaulter, Current college coach
Lifetime Best: 5.26
Favorite Vaulter: bubka

Unread postby KYLE ELLIS » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:21 am

VaultMarq26 wrote:A couple years after I finished competing competitively in the NCAA I had personal records in both. I cleaned 280 lbs (127KG) and jumped a PR of 15' 9"(4.80).

I think one idea that my be getting looked over with this whole tread is that, although being more powerful will likely give you the ability to jump higher, it won't make any difference if your technique doesn't improve. This had probably been mentioned, but I didn't read through the whole thread.

Seriously? So if I take an avg. guy and an avg. girl with the same technique who would jump higher? The guy every single time. Thats why if you go to the state meet the best girl is about the equivelent to the worst guy. Come on people, getting faster and stronger is the easiest way too get better.... Even if nothing else changes.
On a whole new level 6-20-09

IAmTheWalrus
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current College Coach, Aspiring to be Elite Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.06m

Unread postby IAmTheWalrus » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:36 pm

It kinda depends on your starting point, doesn't it? If you can run an 11.3 100m, working super hard to improve it to an 11.1 isn't gonna help you as much as say going from taking off 2ft inside to hitting a free takeoff. If you are out of shape and run a 13sec 100m you can probably improve to a 12sec 100m without too much effort. In this case it will make huge improvements in your vault. For example, I don't think someone like ashton eaton will make huge improvements through speed and strength improvements because he's already close to his max. I kinda rushed this post, does it make sense?
-Nick

VaultMarq26
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach,

Unread postby VaultMarq26 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:39 pm

That is exactly what I, along with others is trying to say.......all things being equal, improving your techinque will yield higher jumps than improving your strength/speed....

Kyle, don't look at it like that....of coarse a 22 year old multi with no technique will have an upper hand on a 14 year old high school freshman with perfect form....there is no argument there. Technique work will help improve height more than soley weight work.
Man Up and Jump

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:46 pm

VaultMarq26 wrote:Technique work will help improve height more than soley weight work.

Generally true, but it depends a lot on what the weak links are for the individual. It is possible for a weak athlete to have a solid technical foundation, but be so weak that it's the biggest factor holding them back.

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”