How much protein?

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
MattM
PV Nerd
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 15
Favorite Vaulter: Scott Huffman

How much protein?

Unread postby MattM » Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:43 pm

Hello everyone, I am wondering what the optimum amount of protein I should be getting into my diet a day. I am 5'8" and weigh 138 pounds, and I have a very high metabolism. It seems that my upper body strength is one of my biggest weaknesses in the vault, I have vaulted at by pole grip for the last year, (14 foot clearance on a 14 foot pole) (I'm 16 years old) I've been working out as much as location allows, doing core body workouts in the gym 2-3 times a week. Any recommendations?

Here are some videos of my vault btw.
http://vimeo.com/8845676
http://vimeo.com/8846202
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yt0CR8B1CL4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYkyHjLE ... re=channel

nitro
PV Master

Re: How much protein?

Unread postby nitro » Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:00 pm

if your trying to gain muscle you should try 1-1.5 grams of protien for every pound you are so somewhere between 138 and 207.... also try to eat lots of nuts because they have good fats in them
pain is only temporary victory is forever

MattM
PV Nerd
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 15
Favorite Vaulter: Scott Huffman

Unread postby MattM » Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:12 pm

nitro wrote:if your trying to gain muscle you should try 1-1.5 grams of protien for every pound you are so somewhere between 138 and 207.... also try to eat lots of nuts because they have good fats in them

Oh thanks a lot, I've currently been eating about 70 so I'll try this. :)

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:07 pm

MattM wrote:
nitro wrote:if your trying to gain muscle you should try 1-1.5 grams of protien for every pound you are so somewhere between 138 and 207.... also try to eat lots of nuts because they have good fats in them

Oh thanks a lot, I've currently been eating about 70 so I'll try this. :)

Make sure to spread it out throughout the day. Your body can only process so much at once (I forget the exact numbers but you can google it), so eating 100 grams with dinner is not going to be as helpful as spacing it out.

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Unread postby dj » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:55 pm

Hey

The following is quotes from Dr. Don Layman’s book.. Dr. Layman is one of the leading diet/nutritional scientist in the world. His research has been quoted in many of the “fad” diets that have come out. He is now marketing his own research. No magic “potions” just cold hard facts.

Here is what he has to say that can help us as athletes..

“The Carbs:Protein ratio is simply the amount of carbs divided by the amount of protein, and is the basis for the macrobalance. Your goal at each meal is to keep the carbohydrates about equal to the amount of protein, which creates a ratio of one. At breakfast your goal for protein is 30 grams, and you have an equal amount of carbohydrates. A typical American breakfast of cereal has at least 27 grams of carbohydrates and about 3 grams of protein. That is a ratio of 27/3 or 9.0. Even with milk of 4 grams of protein and also 6 grams of carbs gives you a ratio of 33/7 or 4.7. Any ratio above 2.0 will make you hungry and prevent you from losing body fat.”

and this specifically for athletes..

“The total amount of carbohydrates you need each day relates to your level of daily physical activity, (Dr. Layman’s work/research had a huge number of athletes as subjects at the University of Illinois, Urbana) known as carb tolerance. If you are highly physically active, then your carb tolerance is higher than someone who is sedentary. A young competitive athlete could have a very high carb tolerance and be able to eat a diet with Carbs:Protein ratio of 4.0 to 5.0. but do not get your Carbs:Protein ratio higher than 2.0 if you are trying to lose weight.”

This book METABOLIQ life style by Dr. Don Layman is available from http://www.greenqstore.com click on tools and books. This is a great read for anyone including athletes.

Google Dr Don Layman, University of Illinois there’s some great independent information on the web.

Dr. Laymans Metaboliq system has now been added to the natural health products business that I represent and I will post more info in the SALES thread under QIVANA.

H.Gray
PV Newbie
Expertise: Sport Scientist / Strength & Conditioning Coach
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Yelena Isinbayeva

Unread postby H.Gray » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:21 pm

This is not rocket science, but it will take some time and effort.
Aim to get at least 1g per lb, and you should also increase your carbohydrate intake - maybe eat one portion extra at each meal (piece of fruit, slice of bread, etc.) and snack. The nuts suggestion is a good one - great for snacks. Look to get your nutrients from a wide range of sources - with plenty of color from fruits and vegetables in your diet also.
Big for you is the post workout "meal". You need to get carbohydrates and protein into your body as soon as possible (preferably within 30 minutes). 4:1 is a good ratio. There are supplements out there but low fat chocolate milk works well and is readily available. You should try to get your basic nutrients through your normal diet before you turn to supplements.
Good luck - it will take time but stick with it.

EIUvltr
PV Pro
Expertise: Ex-collegiate pole vaulter B.S. Exercise Science ACSM personal trainer

Unread postby EIUvltr » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:22 pm

H.Gray wrote:You should try to get your basic nutrients through your normal diet before you turn to supplements.

This. Supplements are so overrated. People like Cornelius Warmerdam, Eugen Sandow, and Jim Thorpe were all Freakish athletes long before we even know what proper nutrition was much less had access to supplements. Eat right, sleep right, hydrate and train like hell and you'll never need to take a single supplement.
"If he dies, he dies"

rtaylor

Unread postby rtaylor » Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:15 am

Thanks Matt for great videos....!!

The average adult needs 0.6 - 0.8 grams of protein for every kilogram (2.2 lbs.) of body weight. Infants may need as much as 2.0 grams per kilogram, adolescents need up to 1.2 grams per kilogram and pregnant women need an additional 10 grams per day.

Regards,

Ross

IAmTheWalrus
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current College Coach, Aspiring to be Elite Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.06m

Unread postby IAmTheWalrus » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:11 am

I'm pretty sure he's looking to increase strength and muscle mass, not lose weight. Protein is critical post workout, not protein powder per se, but some form of protein.
-Nick

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:53 am

immediately post-workout it is actually better to hit your bloodstream with quick carbs. The best way to do this is through gatorade/another sports drink.

When you have protiens/fibers/fats as well as carbs immediately post-workout, it slows the absorption into your bloodstream.

So for instance, i try to drink gatorade DURING a lift, and then chug about 150-200 calories of gatorade within 5 minutes of a workout. Then, about 20 min later I have a bigger sized meal that can sit in my stomach for longer.

There is no magic recovery drink/meal. All it takes is lots of carbs and lots of protiens like everyone here has alluded to. The reason people like to say "chocolate milk is the perfect recovery drink" is because of the 3-1 ratio of carbs-protien, but that's just as good as any other 3-1 ratio of carbs to protiens.

The real key to getting big/stronger is getting what you need to recover as QUICKLY as possible and spacing it out as mentioned, and giving yourself the proper time to recover (SLEEP!!). Other than that, mix up your workouts and constantly push yourself to lift more than you did the week before. That means forcing yourself to lift to fatigue on SOME last sets and maybe having a spotter help you through. Unless you increase the stimulus on your muscles, they have no reason to get bigger.
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

VaultPurple
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach, Pole Vault Addict
Favorite Vaulter: Greg Duplantis

Unread postby VaultPurple » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:10 am

There is no magic recovery drink/meal.

MILK!!! Natures protein shake.

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”