just a quick question

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
CVBigRedBlondie05
PV Newbie

just a quick question

Unread postby CVBigRedBlondie05 » Thu Nov 21, 2002 5:34 pm

how do you all train in the offseason??? i do swimming and running and currently i'm doin weightlifting. Since i'm the only pole vaulter in my school i dont know what drills i should do or anything. i'm completly lost, and just guessing on what i should work on... if anyone could help with drills and workouts i could do. i also have to help others train for their first year, i, and i'm sure my friends, would GREATLY appreciate it. thank you!

Azbeachboy1
PV Follower
Expertise: College coach
Lifetime Best: 17’1”
Favorite Vaulter: Toby

Unread postby Azbeachboy1 » Fri Nov 22, 2002 12:56 am

I think its a great idea to give your legs a rest (running wise). In the offseason, I power lift like crazy, I try as many explosive workouts as possible, usually about 2 hours a day 5 days a week. Strength in the offseason, skills and technique during the season!
Just fly high, and KISS THE SKY!!!

wacky274
PV Follower

Unread postby wacky274 » Fri Nov 22, 2002 5:47 pm

yeah, prety much, just like az vaulter said, explosive stuff is going to help...pole vaulting is an explosive event, it doesnt take a lot of time to finish one vault, so the emphasis shouldnt be on distance, or endurance as much.....you need to be able to have sprint endurance, whether it be lifting (or running if you choose) try to make it powerful, and then rest a lot in between reps, or sets....i mean everyones diff, but i hope that will help some at least
Champions aren't made in gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them-a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill. - Muhammad Ali

Talent in cheaper than table salt. What separates the talented individual from the successful one is a lot of hard work.
-Stephen King

VaultFreak
PV Whiz

Unread postby VaultFreak » Sat Nov 23, 2002 1:33 am

I like to do a whole bunch of 30-40m sprints, and then I do bleachers, I love doing them, I'll run them a couple of times, but then I'll do my favorite one...FROG HOPS!!! That's good for endurance because they're kinda hard to do, and you have to explosive enough to get to the next step, lol.... :D
Pole Vaulters get high!

CVBigRedBlondie05
PV Newbie

Unread postby CVBigRedBlondie05 » Sat Nov 23, 2002 7:14 pm

ok, i feel like an idiot, but what do you mean when you say explosive stuff ??? :o

Azbeachboy1
PV Follower
Expertise: College coach
Lifetime Best: 17’1”
Favorite Vaulter: Toby

Unread postby Azbeachboy1 » Sat Nov 23, 2002 7:39 pm

CVBigRedBlondie05 wrote:ok, i feel like an idiot, but what do you mean when you say explosive stuff ??? :o
Explosive means outputing an extremely large amount of energy from your body in a very short period of time. For example, when a football player makes a tackle, it only takes him one or two seconds to tackle the guy, but in those one or two seconds he is using almost every muscle in his body to the max!
Just fly high, and KISS THE SKY!!!

RamVault09
PV Fan

just a quick question

Unread postby RamVault09 » Sun Nov 24, 2002 2:36 am

Azbeachboy1 wrote:
CVBigRedBlondie05 wrote:ok, i feel like an idiot, but what do you mean when you say explosive stuff ??? :o
Explosive means outputing an extremely large amount of energy from your body in a very short period of time. For example, when a football player makes a tackle, it only takes him one or two seconds to tackle the guy, but in those one or two seconds he is using almost every muscle in his body to the max!
:confused:

.................in other words, to answer CVBigRedBlondie05's question. Although very true and useful info. Azbeachboy1...... ;) :P

a few explosive lifts/stuff that are pretty beneficial can be....

weight room
a) power clean
b) clean and jerks
c) snatch
d) combos
e) hang clean

Just about any quick movement, (exlposive) type lifts that are done on a platform are good.

at the Track
a) rocket (squat) jumps in the sand
b) rocket jumps up the bleachers
c) standing long/triple jump

If you need a description, private message me......Hope that shed some light on the subject :D

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: just a quick question

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Nov 24, 2002 10:34 am

RamVault09 wrote:d) combos

What are combos?

jmayesvaultmom
PV Follower

Rocket jumps up bleachers

Unread postby jmayesvaultmom » Sun Nov 24, 2002 2:43 pm

Are rocket jumps up bleachers just bleacher hops?
That's Jodie!!

A scripture that makes me think of all you girls and guys pole vaulting....

Habakkuk 3:19
The Sovereign LORD is my strength;
he makes my feet like the feet of a deer,
he enables me to go on the heights.

vaultfan

A world class blooper

Unread postby vaultfan » Sun Nov 24, 2002 2:57 pm

a few explosive lifts/stuff that are pretty beneficial can be....

weight room
a) power clean
b) clean and jerks
c) snatch
d) combos
e) hang clean
Just about any quick movement, (exlposive) type lifts that are done on a platform are good.

OK, against better judgment, I'm going to post this "world class" blooper.
The sport of pole vaulting doesn't exactly have a monopoly on terminology which soulds dirty, but isn't.

From a list of top ten comments made by sports commentators that I'm sure they would like to take back:

1. Weightlifting commentator at the Olympic Snatch and Jerk Event: "This is Gregoriava from Bulgaria. I saw her snatch this morning during her warm up and it was amazing."

RamVault09
PV Fan

just a quick question

Unread postby RamVault09 » Sun Nov 24, 2002 5:54 pm

Ok...........

Combos - Start off in the hang clean position, then clean the weight up to your shoulders, in front of your head, above your elbows. Next, continue to press the weight above your head to full extension, pause for a moment, then lower the weight onto your shoulders into the squat position. Then do one squat, then press the weight back above your head. Lower it back down in front of you back into the starting position (hang clean). Thats 1 combo (comb-o-nation :D )

Rocket jumps - rocket jumps up bleacher are sort of like bleacher hops but can be varried. The straighter you keep your legs, the more you work your calves, hitting every step ont he way. Up the bleachers, we jump to every other step, squating, bringing your knees and theighs to a 90 degree angle.

Does that clear things up?

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: just a quick question

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Nov 24, 2002 6:38 pm

RamVault09 wrote:Does that clear things up?

Yes :yes:

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”