Speed training

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
Timm9
PV Newbie
Expertise: High school vaulter
Lifetime Best: 11
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Kevin fagan

Speed training

Unread postby Timm9 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:31 pm

Ok, well im not to fast and over the summer i'm wanting to work on my speed, but i'm also working on distance runnin for cross country. I've seen people say that xc kills your sprinting but I'm wanting a training plan to where I can run distance and also work on my speed. I kinda got a plan on what I'll do but I want some opinions from others for a good exercise plan.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: Speed training

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:01 am

You really can't work on both at the same time. I would recommend spending the summer getting ready for cross country, and focus on your speed training after cross country season is over. You're not going to be as fast as if you had never done cross country, but you can get faster than if you only do distance year-round.

noobar
PV Beginner
Expertise: decathlon
Lifetime Best: 13 ft
Favorite Vaulter: yelena isnbayeva

Unread postby noobar » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:18 am

for the speed training try to do on the first day of week some thing like
30 m *5 full speed
50 m *5 full speed
100 m * 3 full speed
rec. between rep 3 min and between sets 5 min.
also repeat the training after 2 days, try not to do it rather than twice a week.
and u can work on special endurance and speed endurance the next day after the speed work, so twice a week also,
200 m * 8 (80% ,rec. 90 sec)
or
300 m *6 (80% , rec. 3 min)
or
150 m * 10 (80 %, rec 60 sec)
for the cross country training i see it will kill your speed if u want to be a distance runner, i will not work on it more than once a week, i will do it on the end of week and not more than 30 min as maximame, look at the decathlate they must race1500 metre, but there are 9 speed and strenght events in there meets so they are not training for it more than once a week, focus on strenght endurance its better for u like stair climbing, and u must have weight training twice a week.

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:42 am

noobar wrote: ... look at the decathlate they must race 1500 metres, but there are 9 speed and strength events in their meets so they are not training for it more than once a week ...

I didn't know that decathletes trained for the 1500 at all. I thought they just focused on training for the other 9 events ... almost all of which require explosive speed ... not endurance.

If I was training for a decathlon, I don't think I'd train for the 1500. Instead, I'd just try to conserve energy over the other 9 events, and pray that I can finish the 1500.

The advice that you'll get on PVP is to focus on the PV and skip x-country. That's a rather biased point of view, but that's what you should expect from a PV site like this one.

But what if you didn't TRAIN for x-country? What if you just ran the races ... and continued with your normal year-round PV training ... including sprinting? What if you did enough sprinting workouts ... including stairs and inclines ... that you got a fair endurance workout from the reps? Do you think you could place decently without "pure endurance" training? Just a thought. Perhaps a silly one from a biased PV aficionado. :D

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

noobar
PV Beginner
Expertise: decathlon
Lifetime Best: 13 ft
Favorite Vaulter: yelena isnbayeva

Unread postby noobar » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:25 am

KirkB wrote:I didn't know that decathletes trained for the 1500 at all. I thought they just focused on training for the other 9 events ... almost all of which require explosive speed ... not endurance.

For a decathlate the endurance is not only for 1500m its plays important part in the warm up process for warm up for different kind of events in two days, and also u need it in 400 metre ,110 Hurdles metre,u know what I am taking about, when an athlete complete 400 metre, he wants to take a rest for a week, but here u must geat ready for 110 H M after hours.

Lax PV
PV Follower
Expertise: Former HS and college vaulter, college and HS level coaching, CSCS certified
Lifetime Best: 475
Favorite Vaulter: Tarasov

Unread postby Lax PV » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:03 pm

I think a big thing that gets overlooked (esp. on this site sometimes) is to just be an athlete! Train hard at the sport you are in, you've got plenty of time to mature as an athlete and then specialize. Learn the ins and outs of competing, what its like to pump yourself up, and control that energy. I have seen a ton of people only compete in one sport in HS and sure they are talented in HS, but they get to college, and the others who were not specializing then all catch up. I think at this point in your career becoming a solid, all around athlete would be a great goal.

my humble $0.02

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:31 pm

noobar wrote: ... when an athlete complete 400 metre, he wants to take a rest for a week, but here u must geat ready for 110 H M after hours.

But you have overnight to rest! So it's only the general fatigue of the first 9 events, plus the fatigue during the 1500 that affects your 1500 performance.

What I mean is that while I agree with you that there's general requirement for being fit, there's not much of a need for super aerobic fitness ... with oxygen debt and excess lactate ... in the other 9 events. OK, a bit in the 400, but not much ... and then you have an overnight rest.

Point being, in the decathlon you need to focus mostly on your anaerobic fitness and TECHNIQUE for the first 9 events.

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

VaultPurple
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach, Pole Vault Addict
Favorite Vaulter: Greg Duplantis

Unread postby VaultPurple » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:29 am

If you really want to race cross country and do decent, but then hammer down on your speed for pole vault. Just train like an 800 runner would do during track season.

Keep your mileage up by running for like 30-45min 3 days a week, then do sprint workouts like 100s, 200s, and 400s three days a week (like changing the workouts up). The longer runs will keep up the endurance so the 5k should not feel too long. And the you should have built up a pretty good base. So then near the end of cross country season you will want to back off the mileage and make your longer running days shorter, and concentrate more on fast sprints. Then when track season comes around if you just want to pole vault, drop down to even quicker, sprinting distances between 30m and 100m and sprinting up stadiums and hills to get your legs stronger.

The 800 is not really a long distance race, but those guys can usually hold their own in a 5k, and in a 100m. So if you convert to pure sprints by track, it shouldn't be too bad for you.

unionmultiman
PV Newbie

Unread postby unionmultiman » Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:43 am

If you want to train for XC and run well at it then my advice would be to simply do some fast strides at the end of every run. These will remind your body that it needs to do more than run long and easy. the reason why most distance runners lose their explosive ability is because they dont use it. Your body does this amazing thing called adapting. It will adapt to the training you are doing. By sprinting or running long distance you are telling your muscles what you need them to do. You cant change what kind of fibers you have but you can change the way they act. If you only sprint then your slow twitch fibers are gonna try and act more like fast twitch and vice versa if you run distance. So by doing hard strides during XC season you remind your fast twitch fibers that they are still needed to act as such. But because you are putting in some good mileage your distance running will not suffer. No you will not get fast by doing this but it will help maintain. Also to try and increase your speed during XC season would require you to not put much mileage in so your performance would suffer. So....
- If you do not care about your performance in XC but you want to improve your speed for Pole Vault....dont run XC or at least as aprevious poster said dont train for it.
- If you just want to perform decently in XC then dont do everything long and slow. Do a lot of hard, short repeats with very short rest. I believe this is similar to what another previous poster said and would fall under training like a 800m runner,
- If you wanna perform well at XC then put your mileage in but do sprints at the end of runs. With plenty of rest. And dont expect to max out your sprint speed this way but it should help you to maintain and fight the negative effects that distance running will cause. Those effects should be minimal if you remind your body that it has to be explosive to. Plyos would work fine in accomplishing this goal as well.

I hope this was helpful. By the way....most decathletes do not do any 1500m specific training during season. And doing endurance training will not help with the warm up or getting thru all the events. Endurance training improves AEROBIC endurance. If you need aerobic endurance for your warm up then you are not a decathlete....you are a distance runner. and the endurance to get through the events is not the same as aerobic endurance. I am converting to strictly a vaulter next year and I will not do anything long and slow after november. the only reason I will before that is for overall fitness but I can not think of one way that going and running a mile for training during season will positively effect my pole vault performance. You have to figure out what energy system your body uses for what you do and then work it. The more you work it and the less you work others then the better your body will become at expending energy in that manner. Well I have wrote enough.

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”