pole vaulter conditions

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
noobar
PV Beginner
Expertise: decathlon
Lifetime Best: 13 ft
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: yelena isnbayeva

pole vaulter conditions

Unread postby noobar » Mon May 31, 2010 6:51 pm

I am asking if some one know what coditions(30m run from standing start,backward throw 5 k,standing long jump,) need a vaulter to use 15ft pole in his first year?is it possible? and what tests are there to show the ability to use longer poles?

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Re: pole vaulter conditions

Unread postby powerplant42 » Mon May 31, 2010 8:12 pm

A well balanced and quick run, an early, accurate plant, and a strong, free take-off.

;)

But seriously... In the first year, only the absolute best of athletes with access to the best equipment and best coaching will be on a 15' pole. Beyond that, it's highly, highly variable depending on technical mastery.
"I run and jump, and then it's arrrrrgh!" -Bubka

IAmTheWalrus
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current College Coach, Aspiring to be Elite Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.06m

Unread postby IAmTheWalrus » Mon May 31, 2010 9:24 pm

I'm pretty sure Bo Jackson did it. Obviously you could hold down on a pole lower than your weight (outside of high school) or just stiff pole with it. But assuming you are trying to hold 14' + and vault on a pole at or above your weight, it really depends on your plant. If you are taught by a very knowledgeable coach who is good at instilling and rehearsing the basics, it wouldn't be terribly hard. If you can long jump 20+ feet and are taller than 5'10 I would imagine you could use a 15' pole with good run-plant takeoff instruction. Now that's no guarantee you would be able to do much with it though. My advice, be Bo Jackson :P
-Nick

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:21 am

We have an 11.0 hundred meter running, 23ft long jump decathalete that doesnt really do all the technical work we do, who got on a 15'6 165 holding about 14'3" his very first year. He jumps on the same poles I do, sometimes bigger poles. This year (second year) he settled into a 15' series up to 195 (he weighs about 175-180) holding about 14'5". Once he gets any amount of gymnastic ability he will jump 16'+, but right now his official PR is 14'9" i believe.
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

Lax PV
PV Follower
Expertise: Former HS and college vaulter, college and HS level coaching, CSCS certified
Lifetime Best: 475
Favorite Vaulter: Tarasov

Unread postby Lax PV » Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:58 pm

It's really not that uncommon for a D1 level dec to jump on 15s (I have even seen 490s, but the guys was REALLY tall, and really fast) his freshman year with no previous vault experience. You get these guys that are just animals athletically; it doesn't look pretty usually, and it looks even worse on the athlete's shoulders, but they are able to get on them.

Barto
PV Great
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

Unread postby Barto » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:46 am

Jumping on a 15' pole is more dependant upon technique than physical parameters. Relatively slow and weak athletes with good technique can accomplish it. While very fast and powerful athletes may have a difficult time if their mechanics are poor.
Facts, Not Fiction

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”