Glucosamine Chondroitin

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Glucosamine Chondroitin

Unread postby powerplant42 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:29 am

I was told a while ago by a friend who is a physical therapist (who has massive knee issues) that glucosamine chondroitin really helps with knee problems. However, I don't want to go out and waste my money before I hear about it some more. Anybody have any experience with it?
"I run and jump, and then it's arrrrrgh!" -Bubka

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Re: Glucosamine Chondroitin

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:33 am

I could ask my coach who is an Ex. Phys Ph.D about it. But i can tell you without even looking it up that if you think it will help, it probably will.
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

Divalent
PV Whiz
Expertise: Parent
Lifetime Best: 0-00.00
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

Unread postby Divalent » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:44 am

vault3rb0y wrote:... i can tell you without even looking it up that if you think it will help, it probably will.

You didn't *really* just say that, did you?

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:41 am

Except the moment you think about the placebo effect it can be cancelled...

But please do ask! :yes:
"I run and jump, and then it's arrrrrgh!" -Bubka

master
PV Lover
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Volunteer HS Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.36m

Unread postby master » Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:11 pm

I took it for a year or so but then stopped. I didn't notice any improvement in general joint mobility or comfort when joints were stressed. Obviously this is just my experience and not much can be generalized from it.
- master . . . http://www.plvlt.com

bel142
PV Pro
Expertise: Open Post Collegiate, Collegiate Coach, BS - Kinesiology, MEd - Advanced Level Coaching

Unread postby bel142 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:04 am

Honestly if you are about to be an NCAA athlete for the first time let me press upon you something. If you are taking something over the counter (without telling them) and you get popped for a banned substance your school will have no remorse and your career will probably be done... Furthermore glucosamine chondroitin is often used for osteoarthritis, if you are having arthritic problems already...

Joking aside, some, not all... but some companies make steroids in the morning, wash the equipment and then make supplements in the afternoon... If the machines are not cleaned properly substances can get through. This is also sort of the punchline of Smoothie-King, and why so many athletes got popped for banned substances after drinking the regular smoothies there. Talk to your medical staff...

golfdane
PV Pro

Unread postby golfdane » Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:01 am

bel142 wrote:Joking aside, some, not all... but some companies make steroids in the morning, wash the equipment and then make supplements in the afternoon... If the machines are not cleaned properly substances can get through. This is also sort of the punchline of Smoothie-King, and why so many athletes got popped for banned substances after drinking the regular smoothies there. Talk to your medical staff...

I seriously doubt, that even though the cleaning process was inadequate, would the amount of banned substances be way too small in the batch of legal substances, to trigger a positive doping test. Sure, there are products out there, that are spiked with illegal substances from the manufacturers side, to give it a superior effect. Saying, that it got there by improper cleaning, is just a way to go from criminal to just having bad quality control.

I've heard positive things about Glucosamine, but it was from masters athletes, with mild arthritic symptoms. I seriously doubt a high school athlete would benefit. It should be safe to try though, but get it from a valid source (to make sure it's not spiked with cortisone or something else). Second of all: Inform your trainer and your school, and talk with a doctor about it.

bel142
PV Pro
Expertise: Open Post Collegiate, Collegiate Coach, BS - Kinesiology, MEd - Advanced Level Coaching

Unread postby bel142 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:54 am

Now to my understanding, (and if I am incorrect please someone correct me) in the US, the FDA does not over see nutritional supplements. There is not a huge amount of regulation that goes into these types of products... So although it seems unlikely for the above situation to take place it absolutely has.

If you can comment on the situation in Denmark that would be an interesting discussion piece.

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”