Trouble leaving the ground

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Re: Trouble leaving the ground

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:11 am

Here's an idea-
start from 3-4 steps. Get a pole you blow through with ease, and just VAULT. Make running, dropping, and planting the norm.

Do this until you literally don't think about it. Take 30 jumps in a row, 50 in a row. Whatever you need to do to ingrain jumping in your head.

The next jump day, IF AND ONLY IF you accomplish that goal of jumping every time, go back to 4-5. You want to leave the ground so many times that your mind has a more awkward time running through than it does jumping.

Believe me, I've been in that boat. The best way to break a habit is positive reinforcement. That means jump after jump, after jump (repeat this x 1000) until that mental block of running through is only stagnant in the back of your head, because you KNOW that you have the power to jump and have demonstrated that in thousands of jumps before.
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

aseinc
PV Beginner

Re: Trouble leaving the ground

Unread postby aseinc » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:00 am

That probable the best advice that I have seen on these posts. Like the say with pro's and their sports. they don't do it until they get it right, they do it until they cannot get it wrong.

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”