Labeling Poles

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
VaultPurple
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach, Pole Vault Addict
Favorite Vaulter: Greg Duplantis

Labeling Poles

Unread postby VaultPurple » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:03 pm

This weekend at a meet I had a girl blow through a 13' 135 and I told her to move to the 140 or its equivalent, but then we realized we do not have a 140 so I handed her the 145 and said go for it (she really crushed the 135 so I knew she could do it). But she like freaked out at first and said it was way too big and stuff cuz the biggest before the meet she had ever used was 130. She eventually used it and it was fine but I think she was still a little scared of it.

But I have an idea where I cover up all of the weight ratings and lengths on the poles and I label them like A-Z or something and I have a chart that tells me what each pole is. That way I can just be like, hey go grab pole Q or something. Do you as coaches think this would be a good way to get vaulters mind off of being scared of a pole they think is too big, and do you as athletes think that you would jump better if you didn't know what pole you were jumping on, and just went for it.

(fyi.. this is college so there is no rule where weight rating has to be showing).

Flyer Coach
PV Newbie
Expertise: High School/College coach
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Stacy Dragila

Re: Labeling Poles

Unread postby Flyer Coach » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:35 pm

I know Lane Lohr, Becca's old coach does exactly that. I think Lane uses numbers, as you would find with golf clubs, but the same concept. He is at Washington University in St. Louis if you want to consult him. Great guy.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: Labeling Poles

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:03 pm

Pat Licari at UW takes off all of the weight labels, etches out the engraved weight ratings, and goes by flex numbers and a big number he writes on the pole. They are all Spirits.

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”