when to call it quits?

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
zachwinters156
PV Fan
Expertise: High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 13'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

when to call it quits?

Unread postby zachwinters156 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:02 pm

Like many vaulters, I've been dealing with shin splints for most of my vault career. It almost seems like the only thing that really causes them to get worse is actually jumping. They still hurt while running, but i think thats only because i already have them and running just keeps them there. I've never known when to get off my legs and when i need a break. Most of the time I fight through them, but i dont want to make them worse to the point where I can't compete or train anymore. So, when should I really get off of them and let them heal? I ice every day and try to do some exercises to strengthen them sometimes too. I really dont want to miss out on any training and want to be ready to go for my first meet, which is April 5th. If theres anyone out there who has delt with shin splints it'd be great to find out what you did to get rid of them or at least manage them. I really dont want the pain to hold me back, but i dont want to miss any training unfortunately that may not be an option. Whats your opinion?
Last edited by zachwinters156 on Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

superpipe
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Masters Vaulter, Club Coach, High School Coach, Parent
Favorite Vaulter: Who else, Bubka.

Re: when to call it quits?

Unread postby superpipe » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:28 am

Make an appointment with a podiatrist NOT a useless PT person. A podiatrist specializes in everything feet and can make custom orthodics for your particular foot problems and should be able to recommend the correct running shoes with that orthodic. Assuming you are not over training, you need to see a podiatrist because you probably have pronation issues like most people
Chris Mitchell
MitchellPro Vault Club

Barto
PV Great

Unread postby Barto » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:43 pm

Ice, anti-inflamatories, and massage are the best treatments for shins. Long term, you will need lots of massage and stretching of your calves to get rid of them. I know they are frustrating, but with the right treatment they will go away.

barto
Facts, Not Fiction

andy94566
PV Whiz
Expertise: current high school vaulter
Lifetime Best: 13'8"
Favorite Vaulter: Walker, Johnson, Miles

Unread postby andy94566 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:44 pm

I've had to deal with shin splints since the end of last season. At the start of this season, I was in your position and it was hard for me to balance taking time off to recover my shins and putting in work to improve. Here are some things I did to get better.
- Definitely what you don't want to hear, but I took 2 weeks off of running. I stuck mainly to weight room things, gymnastics on high bars, rope drills, walking plants, sand pit drills
- Replace my shoes. I went to a podiatrist as mentioned in the above reply and I found that my arches were very low. So I got special insoles. When I started running again, in about 3 weeks time, my shin splints were gone
- Invest in some shin splint compression sleeves. Some people say they don't work, but in my case I found them to be helpful.
- Swim or bike to maintain cardio base
- sports massage therapy
- acupuncture... heard mixed reviews about this one. I tried it and it actually seemed to work a little bit.
- Foam roll the legs and another thing that helped alot was whenever you're watching tv, doing hw, etc. get a golf ball and roll the bottom of your feet. Don't just casually do it but try to put some weight onto it. Rolling the arches of my feet feels really good

Hope this helped

zachwinters156
PV Fan
Expertise: High School Vaulter
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Unread postby zachwinters156 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:27 pm

andy94566 wrote:I've had to deal with shin splints since the end of last season. At the start of this season, I was in your position and it was hard for me to balance taking time off to recover my shins and putting in work to improve. Here are some things I did to get better.
- Definitely what you don't want to hear, but I took 2 weeks off of running. I stuck mainly to weight room things, gymnastics on high bars, rope drills, walking plants, sand pit drills
- Replace my shoes. I went to a podiatrist as mentioned in the above reply and I found that my arches were very low. So I got special insoles. When I started running again, in about 3 weeks time, my shin splints were gone
- Invest in some shin splint compression sleeves. Some people say they don't work, but in my case I found them to be helpful.
- Swim or bike to maintain cardio base
- sports massage therapy
- acupuncture... heard mixed reviews about this one. I tried it and it actually seemed to work a little bit.
- Foam roll the legs and another thing that helped alot was whenever you're watching tv, doing hw, etc. get a golf ball and roll the bottom of your feet. Don't just casually do it but try to put some weight onto it. Rolling the arches of my feet feels really good

Hope this helped

I've done many of these things. ive been biking for about a week and have already noticed some difference. Ive only done one sprinting workout since then and it was real light. I have a compression sleeve (I only have it in one leg from jumping) which helps and ive been seeing the trainer and hes been massaging it which helps. He also mentioned arch support and I think i am going to buy some insoles. Hopefully i have finally figured this out but thanks for the advice.

professor
PV Beginner
Expertise: Current High School
Favorite Vaulter: Toby Stevenson

Unread postby professor » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:39 am

ice ice ice! i found icing multiple times a day helps with weekly massages and icee hot and a shin brace to compress the bone

kcvault
PV Pro
Expertise: College vaulter, post collegiate vaulter, BA kinesiology,
Lifetime Best: 5.40m
Favorite Vaulter: Annie Burlingham

Unread postby kcvault » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:47 pm

After the season rest is absolutely the best thing for shin splints, but until then just keep icing. I believe shin splints happen from connective tissue delaminating from the shin bone. This is common in running because the pounding on the heels with each step causes the shin muscle to be overused also a lack of strength that is needed for constant dorsi flexion. Because of the nature of the injury there is not much you can do for shin splints will you have them except ice and put inserts in your shoes to help cushion the impact, also try to improve your running mechanics to always strike on the ball of the foot even when jogging this will decrease the impact during running. After the season once the injury is heeled try to do heel walks and toe walks every day to help strengthen the shin and calf muscles. Also it is helpful to gradually transition to a less supportive shoe with less of a heel to allow proper running mechanics and increase strength (not until the shins are healed and strong) often to much support causes muscles to be weak or imbalanced and serves as a catalyst to injury.
--Kasey

littlewilson85
PV Beginner
Expertise: High School Coach

Unread postby littlewilson85 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:58 pm

Just to add...you really have to be proactive with shin splints. Barefooted heel walks and toe walks in the grass or in the sand need to be part of the daily routine. I also agree with KC on improving running mechanics. Do the exercises, and many others you can find as the beginning of your warm-up. Do not wait until shin splints occur. Like I said be proactive!

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”