3 lefts to full run-up

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
pvph
PV Newbie
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

3 lefts to full run-up

Unread postby pvph » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:30 am

I was just wondering if there was a general rule that could help converting a 3 lefts grip into a full run-up grip..

my pb with 3 lefts are 13'5 (stiff pole) and 14'4 with bend.

At the moment i'm jumping with 15'1 grip for full run-up. And i think i can rise my grip pretty much, since the pole i use at full run-up is damn hard. 35 punds over my weight and 15.0 flex...

Got any advice?

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: 3 lefts to full run-up

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:48 pm

You should base decisions about whether or not to raise your grip on your long run based on how deep you are landing in the pit, not on where you're gripping from 3 lefts.

Your grip from 3 may or may not indicate you are potentially capable of gripping higher from longer, but it doesn't just magically happen, you have to be able to have good technique and be able to take off from farther away as that grip goes up. So what is theoretically possible is not always practical, at best is just helps you identify an area for improvement.

Barto
PV Great

Re: 3 lefts to full run-up

Unread postby Barto » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:09 pm

You are using 15.0 flex 4.90 pole or 4.60 pole?

To transition from 3 steps we move to 4 steps. To transition from 4 steps we move to 6 steps. To transition from 6 steps we move to 8 steps. Every time we move back the grip should increase by 6" (15cm) As a general rule a vaulter can grip 18" (45cm) higher from 8 steps then they can from 3 steps. Hope this helps.

barto
Facts, Not Fiction

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”