am i doing enough?

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
sulli818
PV Beginner
Expertise: current high school vaulter
Lifetime Best: 10'6
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: scott huffman

Re: am i doing enough?

Unread postby sulli818 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:42 pm

VaultPurple wrote:

Do cross country if you wanna do cross country. But don't use college applications as an excuse to keep doing it. All they see is a kid that spent 4 years doing a lot of sports. The majority of schools look no farther than the GPA and SAT unless those are low. But if you apply with a 4.5 and 2000 they just click accepted and don't read anything else.

my GPA is only average, so showing dedication in the sports i play will raise my chances of getting into a college. everything being equal, they will choose the kid who stayed with a sport from beginning to end.

sulli818
PV Beginner
Expertise: current high school vaulter
Lifetime Best: 10'6
Favorite Vaulter: scott huffman

Unread postby sulli818 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:26 am

VaultPurple wrote:
i have already dropped long distance track, for polevault...i dont want to stop XC too because, it would look bad on a college app to run 3 years then quit my senior year.

Do cross country if you wanna do cross country. But don't use college applications as an excuse to keep doing it. All they see is a kid that spent 4 years doing a lot of sports. The majority of schools look no farther than the GPA and SAT unless those are low. But if you apply with a 4.5 and 2000 they just click accepted and don't read anything else.

that would be awesome if i had a 4.5 and 2000

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:44 am

The odds that your application will be looked at closely enough for something so minor to matter is slim.

Do you LIKE doing cross country? Do you WANT to do it in the fall? Then by all means, do it!

But if you're only doing it for college application reasons, that time would probably be better spent working on getting your grades up or improving SAT/ACT scores. Colleges also look favorably on a GPA that gets stronger at the end...

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:29 pm

Yes and that statement is still true! If you want to be a better pole vaulter you must pole vault -simple really. Given that I have seen beginning lads clear 3.30m with a stiff pole after forty minutes of practice it is not that difficult for an athletic and dedicated youngster - as you seem to be - to improve rapidly by vaulting more or doing vault related drills. However if you just want to have a beautiful sculpted body keep going with your current program.
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”