Bar Drills

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
mooski33
PV Nerd

Bar Drills

Unread postby mooski33 » Wed Dec 11, 2002 9:11 pm

Alright guys, I'm gonna be totally honest: I've got my[b] senior project due in 2 days[/b] (friday), and I am short one reference. I need someone with a some what extensive pole vault background (whether coaching, vaulting, or researching) to help me out. For my Senior project I am having chin-up bars put in at our local stadium to do polevault drills on. Basically, [b]I need to know the different drills that can be done on these bars, and part of the vault each drill works on[/b]. Help a fellow vaulter graduate high school-let me know what you think and also [b]include your name, and pv background[/b] (or whatever makes you a qualified source). Thank you so much!!

mooski33
PV Nerd

Unread postby mooski33 » Wed Dec 11, 2002 10:08 pm

please?

xtremevaulter

MOLLY

Unread postby xtremevaulter » Thu Dec 12, 2002 12:39 am

Hey molly I have a few drills but they ar fairly common.
One of them being BUBKAS they really help you to close off the top of your vault.

The other ones are Wipers to help with your abs. and then Pull ups to get your arms stronger. But that is all. :)

wacky274
PV Follower

Unread postby wacky274 » Thu Dec 12, 2002 1:04 am

pull overs---help all around swing and finishing the swing, getting hands to hips

bar kips---help top of the swing when getting hands to hips
Champions aren't made in gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them-a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill. - Muhammad Ali

Talent in cheaper than table salt. What separates the talented individual from the successful one is a lot of hard work.
-Stephen King

lonestar
PV Lover

Unread postby lonestar » Thu Dec 12, 2002 1:15 am

If you need an explanation on how to do these, let me know and I'll follow up. Otherwise, I'll just list the drills we do (or at least attempt to do:) and what they develop.

Bubka's - develop lat and shoulder girdle strength for rowing
Pullovers - same purpose as Bubka's, plus trap strength
Kips - develop swing timing along with rowing action
Muscle-Ups - lat, tricep, and pectoral strength
Skin-the-Cats - develop kinesthetic awareness of rotating from shoulders during the swing phase, plus a good flexibility warmup for shoulders.
Pull-Ups - lat and bicep strength
Giant Swings - develop kinesthetic awareness of swinging, overcome fear of being upside down

Hope this helps!

You said you needed info. about us for references too, right? Here goes:

Kris Allison
Coach - Lone Star Pole Vault Club
Assistant Pole Vault Coach - Southwest Texas State University
Assistant Pole Vault Coach - Trinity University
USATF Level 1 Certified Track and Field Coach
USATF Association-Level Certified Official
Former NCAA Division III Vaulter and 2-time SUNYAC Conference Champion
Any scientist who can't explain to an eight-year-old what he is doing is a charlatan. K Vonnegut

vaultfan

Chin-up Bar

Unread postby vaultfan » Thu Dec 12, 2002 1:34 am

You might want to check out the Chin-up Bar post on the High School Forum under the topic of “Just a Quick Question.â€Â

vaultfan

Rope Drills

Unread postby vaultfan » Thu Dec 12, 2002 10:50 am

You might also want to review the rope drills discussed on the High School Forum under the topic of “Just a Quick Question.â€Â

mooski33
PV Nerd

Unread postby mooski33 » Fri Dec 13, 2002 3:15 am

thank you so much for all of your responses, I really don't think I can stress enough how thankful I am! You are so awesome! thanks a bunch! If you guys ever need anything, anything at all, feel free to let me know!
-molly

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”