Pole vault workouts for 1 year

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
kcvault
PV Pro
Expertise: College vaulter, post collegiate vaulter, BA kinesiology,
Lifetime Best: 5.40m
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Annie Burlingham

Re: Pole vault workouts for 1 year

Unread postby kcvault » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:25 pm

In April - on Tuesday it is recommended that the athlete runs 5x 150 at 95% intensity and in May 3 x 150 at 100% intensity. Not only will these sessions take an inordinately long time to complete -that is if they are to include the recovery periods necessary to repeat the runs at the intensity required BUT and this is a critical BUT - the demands on the CENTRAL NERVOUS SYSTEM will be such that the athlete will be unable to undertake a quality vault session the following day -as recommended in this program.

Have not been on this in a long time I have made some changes on the recommended days since then but have not had time to post them. But you are absolutely right the CNS takes 48-72 hours to recover. What I think I failed to emphasize is that if you do not feel 100% on sprint days don't do them do something else. However I generally feel recovered within about 24 hours if I don't feel 100% when I vault I just do drills and I would suggest other people do the same. But I definitely should have stressed this more, along with the lighter load every fourth week and rest days. Since adaption does not happen during the workouts but during the recovery phase.
--Kasey

altius
PV Rock Star

Re: Pole vault workouts for 1 year

Unread postby altius » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:28 am

" Ive hear a lot of thing about starting off the fall with 800s and 400s for endurance and then slowly decreasing the distance and increasing the speed. Whats everyones take on this?[/quote]."

if you intend to run 5 and 10 ks in the summer 800s and 400s are great - in sufficient quantities! But if you hope to be a pole vaulter they are completely irrelevant. While 200s and 150s are used by some elite athletes I can guarantee you that if you do serious technical sessions - repetitive planting drills/ sand pit drills/jumping over bungy and bars/ up to 15 competition pole runs/ high bar work/ you will build all the endurance you need to vault at least to 5.40.
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”