Shoulder/Back Injury

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
bb12334
PV Wannabe
Expertise: High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 12
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka, Renaud Lavillenie

Shoulder/Back Injury

Unread postby bb12334 » Sun May 01, 2011 5:22 pm

So this is my first season vaulting. Right now I can clear 11' pretty comfortably and have the basics of my technique down. The problem is I am having a lot of problems with injuries. At my last meet, after taking my first warm up jump, all the way from the top part of my arm and shoulder, all the way through my shoulder bade. I kind of ignored it and just kept jumping but after I got home, I could barely move it. Extending my arm straight up, or if I put my arm in the position you would to flex your bicep and then try and move my arm back, it hurts like crazy. I have looked up shoulder pain and found of something called "shoulder shock". Does anyone have any idea what this is or any way to help me get better. Just another note, I have felt pain in my shoulder blade and shoulders for a couple of weeks but have just taken painkillers to cover it up, but it has reached a point where it is inhibiting basic movement.

drcurran
PV Pro
Expertise: Former HS Vaulter, Former College Vaulter, USAT&F Official, PIAA Official
Lifetime Best: 14'
Favorite Vaulter: Brian Sternberg

Re: Shoulder/Back Injury

Unread postby drcurran » Mon May 02, 2011 8:22 am

"Doctor who treats self has a fool for a patient" - Go see a good sports med. Doc.

Dan
I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was!
TK

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”