Crew

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
Errc
PV Newbie
Lifetime Best: 12'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

Crew

Unread postby Errc » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:05 pm

I was wondering what peoples opinion about crew were at the college level for pole vault. Would being on a crew team be beneficial to pole vaulting? Would the strength training required be terrible for vaulting? Any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: Crew

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:06 pm

Doing crew in college is extremely time consuming. They are rowing at like 6am and have multiple workouts per day. Maybe you could pole vault a little for fun with a club, but doing college crew would definitely not be beneficial to pole vaulting.

Errc
PV Newbie
Lifetime Best: 12'6"

Unread postby Errc » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:39 pm

It is a club sport at my college and they only practice once a day for about two hours. I am more curious about how the strength training would translate over to pole vaulting.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:51 pm

Errc wrote:It is a club sport at my college and they only practice once a day for about two hours. I am more curious about how the strength training would translate over to pole vaulting.

Not very well, it's an endurance sport. Also, I find it hard to believe they practice so infrequently. I would imagine they expect their members to do outside conditioning.

Lax PV
PV Follower
Expertise: Former HS and college vaulter, college and HS level coaching, CSCS certified
Lifetime Best: 475
Favorite Vaulter: Tarasov

Unread postby Lax PV » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:27 pm

Errc wrote:It is a club sport at my college and they only practice once a day for about two hours. I am more curious about how the strength training would translate over to pole vaulting.

Training for Crew is much like cross-country running, along with a lot of lifting.

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”