Turf Toe?

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
Vault101 Boy
PV Fan
Expertise: High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 14'6
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Brad Walker

Turf Toe?

Unread postby Vault101 Boy » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:58 pm

So, the trainer informed me that i have a case of turf toe (i believe it is a ligament in the top or bottom of the toe that is sprained). Its been hurting for about 3 weeks, but only during workouts or vault sessions so it was hardly on my mind. It doesnt seem to be swollen or bruised and i can run relatively well (ive had some of my best vaults in the past 2 weeks). Is there anything i should be worried about, or can i keep on with my normal training?

efalbo
PV Newbie
Expertise: Current College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 14'3"
Favorite Vaulter: Derek Miles

Re: Turf Toe?

Unread postby efalbo » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:31 am

I get this occasionally - started up last year. I'm not an expert, but you'll need a few days, maybe even a week, of rest. For the amount of pain that it causes, I generally just ignore it; mine never hurt enough or caused any problems in my run. Once again, I'm not positive, but I doubt it can/will really escalate to something more serious. Best of luck!

wesley22
PV Newbie
Expertise: High School Coach

Unread postby wesley22 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:42 pm

If rest is not an option, I would be sure to warm up the area with massage and moist heat prior to training. I would ice it after training. "You Tube" KT Tape Turf Toe. This product and procedure works very well.

vaultmd
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Coach, Doctor
Lifetime Best: 475
Favorite Vaulter: Laura Huarte

Unread postby vaultmd » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:31 pm

Just make sure you don't try to vault unless your running is 100% consistent. Remember, gravity never takes a jump off and you want to be heading into the pit when it gets control.

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”