How long will i be out?

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
Rosie<3
PV Wannabe
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 9'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

How long will i be out?

Unread postby Rosie<3 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:35 pm

I Pole vault twice a week and work out at the gym 3 times a week. My my wisdom teeth are pretty impacted...all 4. so i have to get all 4 removed at once, right around thanksgiving :(. I know i will not completely be in season yet, but i vault year round to be ready for winter. How long will i have to wait before i will be able to pole vault again, run, lift, etc. I think i will only be out for 2 weeks maybe end of november early december. Not really sure yet
Last edited by Rosie<3 on Mon May 21, 2012 8:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Coach J
PV Beginner
Expertise: Club Coach
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Re: WHen will i be able to vault after wisdom teeth removal?

Unread postby Coach J » Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:53 pm

I would definitely ask your Doctor about when it is OK to Start physical activity again. I have found that my athletes can go 10 days and not lose form, and 2-3 weeks translates into about a month of lost training. I don't think the recovery time for wisdom teeth will be to long, but again talk to your doctor.

VaultPurple
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach, Pole Vault Addict
Favorite Vaulter: Greg Duplantis

Unread postby VaultPurple » Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:46 pm

Usually they say you can do what you want as soon as you stop taking the pain medications and the bleeding subsides enough to not have to sit with a mouth full of cotton.

When I had them taken out in high school I took the pain pills the day of the surgery and went back to school the next day. But I had the surgery where they put you out with anesthesia instead of just using laughing gas. And my bleeding pretty much stopped by that night. So I may have just been really lucky. So I would take at least a day off. I think I had mine during indoor season where didn't practice much but I was also swimming and only took one day off from that before I was back in the pool.

Disclaimer: Not a doctor so my opinion really does not matter.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:53 pm

Hi Rosie, there's really no way to know in advance. Everyone heals differently from the surgery. Some people feel fine the next day and other people have a lot of pain and swelling for a week or two. I would listen to what your doctor says and see how you feel.

If you're off for a week or two it's not going to be a huge deal.

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”