Field testing and monitoring training

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
Lax PV
PV Follower
Expertise: Former HS and college vaulter, college and HS level coaching, CSCS certified
Lifetime Best: 475
Favorite Vaulter: Tarasov

Field testing and monitoring training

Unread postby Lax PV » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:28 am

I am interested in hearing from some of the coaches out there what kind of field testing you do to monitor your athlete's fitness levels?

IMO, I think that the field tests should involve "non-traditional" movements that mirror the macrocycle that you are currently in. What I mean by "non-traditional" is that it should not be a movement (or series of movements) that the individuals routinely complete. This somewhat normalizes out the idea of it being a learned skill (like the VERTEC at the NFL Combine etc.). Additionally, I think it should mirror the type of training currently being completed (i.e. not a 15m fly in the middle of October, but not a :49 second test in the middle of May either). That said, I think that a 15m fly could be performed monthly or bi-monthly so monitor the progress as well--the type of test must have a purpose.

Some of the tests that I like are standing broad jumps (single and multiple hops), vertical jumps, overhead shot throws, underhand shot throws, 15m fly, :23 and :49 tests.

I have seen people using some crazy things out there, 10m of single leg hops for time for example, alternate bounding for time and distance etc.

What are other people doing out there?

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Re: Field testing and monitoring training

Unread postby dj » Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:45 pm

*Standing LJ
*Overhead shot (leave out the underhand forward shot.. tends to stress the groin and lower ab area..)
*30 meter sprint from standing start without pole…
*30 meter sprint from standing start WITH pole…
*20m fly without pole…
*20m fly WITH pole…
*Regular pull-up/chin up… how many total or how many in 15 seconds…

dj

VaultPurple
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach, Pole Vault Addict
Favorite Vaulter: Greg Duplantis

Re: Field testing and monitoring training

Unread postby VaultPurple » Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:15 pm

Every month we test

-30m dash
-Flying speed through 5m speed trap (25m, 30m, 40m run)
-Overhead back shot put throw
- Standing Broad Jump

Just from beginning of October to beginning of November almost every vaulter dropped .20s in the 30m showing how much of an improvement you get from just getting back into the routine of things after the summer break and starting to hit the weights hard.

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”