Follow me on my journey to 16'

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
pursuit16
PV Wannabe
Expertise: current high school vaulter
Lifetime Best: 14'
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: bubka

Re: Follow me on my journey to 16'

Unread postby pursuit16 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:24 pm

Altius:
I usually try to get at least one day a week in of pole runs or sand drills. My intention in doing workouts of this type is to try to build speed that can be incorporated into my run up. If you dont suggest this type of workout, what would you suggest for speed work?

vquestpvc:
Ive got a meet coming up on thursday, ill try to get some video of that and post it.

Practice:
Warm up, 10 minute jog, a couple striders, stretch.
Simple recovery, coaches wanted me to take it easy today and tomorrow, which will likely be some easy plant drill (like the ones altius mentioned)

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:21 pm

"I usually try to get at least one day a week in of pole runs or sand drills."

That needs to be at least TWO sessions a week. Besides you will not improve running speed through that kind of work -you can only IMPROVE - not merely maintain - speed by high quality runs of 40 - 50 metres at 95% of at least your maximum speed . Obviously you can't do many of those in a session and you need a long recovery between each effort. Take a look at page 224 of BTB.

Finally I would make the point that NONE of my young athletes -listed in the book - used a program remotely like the one you are using. With limited time for training the emphasis was on specific drills -usually in a sand pit, jumping on the pad , high bar work, long jumping, pole runs, and some sprint training of the kind suggested.
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

pursuit16
PV Wannabe

Unread postby pursuit16 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:51 am

thank you for the advice, honestly. I will certainly try to transition more into this type of training, but it may be hard to do so completely because i am only a high school athlete, so i have coaches that are essentially in control.

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:03 pm

The dilemma of pole vaulting in the USA!

TheBestVaulterAlive
PV Beginner
Expertise: Current College Vaulter, Club Coach
Lifetime Best: 5.34m
Favorite Vaulter: Daniel Ryland

Unread postby TheBestVaulterAlive » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:09 am

Maybe you should talk to your high school coach. Becoming an athlete or vaulter should be something that one should strive to achieve throughout his or her life. Not in 4 years or so. You can fully develop in that short of a time period. Like with Bubka, Petrov prepared him to vault his best in senior sport.
"You only fail if you want to." - Dr. Komarraju
Cody Doerflein

pursuit16
PV Wannabe

Unread postby pursuit16 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:45 pm

Well I had my second meet of the season today. I came in at 12 6 cleared that 13 and 13 6 all first attempt and felt great on all of them. Bar went up to 14 and the first attempt just sucked. I was real flat on the take off and couldn't put it together afer that. Second was my best. I had plenty of height over it but slowed up a little on my last step and came down on top of it. Third was alright, flagged out a little, not really close. Overall it was my best attempts at 14, the step still needs to move out about a foot, but seemed a little better than before. Disappointed that I couldn't walk away with 14 but it was close, I know I have it in me. It was my first time ever (practice or meet) That I started on the 14 160. I'm making improvements slowly but surely. Video will be posted tomorrow.

pursuit16
PV Wannabe

Unread postby pursuit16 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:57 pm

starkey480
PV Whiz

Unread postby starkey480 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:18 pm

what sized poles are you on?

and also your jump looks pretty solid!! I think you could definitely jump 16 if you work your butt off.
your takeoff looked a little bit under especially on your first 2 jumps at 14. That's why you were not getting the desired energy out of the pole. I have the same issue, however recently I have been working on exaggerating the free takeoff from a short run on a small pole and making sure I am off the ground before the pole hits the back of the box and and it is helping immensely, and I think it could help you too. If you get the takeoff a little farther out, and get a little bit faster you will be at 16 in no time!! :yes:

pursuit16
PV Wannabe

Unread postby pursuit16 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:40 am

starkey480: this was on a 14' 160. I agree with you 100% the two things im working on most right now is getting the take off out and getting faster. thanks for the input though, some good reassurance that i gotta work on these things

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:10 pm

" I have been working on exaggerating the free takeoff from a short run on a small pole and making sure I am off the ground before the pole hits the back of the box and and it is helping immensely,"

Right on old son!!

pursuit16
PV Wannabe

Unread postby pursuit16 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:18 pm

today went pretty well. other than about 10 pole runs on saturday, this weekend consisted of a whole lot of nothing. It good to get out and start working hard again.

Went as following:
2 x 200m w/ full recovery at 100%
12 minute abs (crunches, v ups, six inches, bicycles, etc.)
sqauts- 10, 6, 4 (185, 205, 235)
pull ups- 10, 8, 6, 4, 2
a couple plyometric exercises(quick feet on box and side to side hops over rope)
upright rows- 12, 10,8 (all @ 65lb)
forearm workout

Once again, I feel like i could have worked a little harder in the sprints and abs, but still feel like i got a great ab workout in. I was a little down this weekend because i know ive been working pretty hard this season and havent had a PR to show it. I know i just gotta keep working harder and itll come. Next meet is a week from today and is at a venue that ive never jumped at. Im actually excited to jump there because i hear its a great place to jump. I wont really have any sort of coach there (because my club coach has not been able to make either of my meets so far and i get some local coaches to help meet out when hes not there, howeever i dont think ill know any of the coaches here). The only real reason I want a coach present is for the confidence factor (just to reassure me in my decisions, and maybe to help out with setting my standards). I know ill be able to get friendly with the other vaulters/coaches and theyll help me out. Any tips for this situation?

pursuit16
PV Wannabe

Unread postby pursuit16 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:47 pm

did about 10-12 7L pole runs today trying to focus on continuing to drive my knees throughout my run and also trying to get in better position to jump by putting the last step down as opposed to reaching out. I felt a definate difference when i did it right, but still need to get more consistant with it. Went in the weight room and did a little benching and arm workout. I have vault practice tomorrow and i set a goal of trying to take off outside of 11' at least three times. Sounds easy? i know but ive been struggling with that. hopefully itll be more than 3 times but well see.

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”