Follow me on my journey to 16'

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
pursuit16
PV Wannabe
Expertise: current high school vaulter
Lifetime Best: 14'
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: bubka

Re: Follow me on my journey to 16'

Unread postby pursuit16 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:16 pm

hmm where to start... i started off practice pretty well last night. I was on my big pole, I was getting my steps down and everything was great, for about three jumps. After this I began to feel like i was working too hard to come up with my usual speed, could be that i was a little sick, could be that it was a late practice, or who knows. I got a couple decent jumps in then moved to 4L to see if I can work out my steps. I ended up getting a little outside of 10' on some jumps (with a 13' grip) which is actually an improvement for me. It still could have gone out around 10' 9" but it was better, and i could feel when i was putting my steps down better and when it was not so good. Im happy about that progress. I also figured out where my mid is, which was about 50' for the first jump and they between 48' 6" and 49' for the rest of the jumps I took. I guess this means that im reaching on my last six steps (no surprise there). The only thing i dont get is that If i need to work on shortening my strides, and end up getting my take off where it needs to be, then why should i try to get my mid in to 46' (according to the chart) when its working just fine from 50'?

All in all i know what i need to do this weekend and its just a matter of bringing my a game, which i know im capable of

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”