Rookie Training and Running

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
Kris
PV Wannabe
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

Rookie Training and Running

Unread postby Kris » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:04 am

Alright, here's the deal; I recently (4 weeks ago) started pole vaulting, so obviously im, not vaulting 15' and i probably never will. I am not a beast pole vaulter and im not expecting to become good enough to actually take it any further than high school level (if i could, i would though), where i am currently a sophomore.
That being said, i enjoy pole vaulting and i would obviously like to make it as far as i can. Browsing this forum, i have come across several topics discussing the amount of training and type of training needed for pole vaulters, and i have also read a few discussions on nutrition - but most of those topics seem to be directed toward high-level collegiate vaulters or other vaulters for whom pole vaulting is more than just a competitive hobby.

So, to finally get to the point, I have come to the understanding that a pole vaulter should focus on speed work and sprinting, and that should be enough to sustain the vaulters basic condition. The thing is - thats very far from what i'm currently doing. Before picking up a pole, i was a mediocre mid-distance runner on our track team, running my first ever track season this winter. Realizing i wouldnt really get anywhere with my running, i decided to try something new, and i got hooked on pole vaulting. I would, however, like to still do some running and possibly make it on a few of our relay teams because i enjoy running and i enjoy the team-feeling of being on a relay team. Now, after reading this forum, i have come to realize that distance running and pole vaulting is a bad combination - the question is; how much does it really matter for a mediocre sophomore-pole vaulter?
As a matter of fact, i am convinced that basic conditioning and cardio training will almost always improve sports-performances as long as you aren't a top-level elite athlete - simply because it results in a stronger body with more endurance, and usually people in good shape also have a better 'feel' for their body. So i figured that in order to become a better pole vaulter, but also keep on running, i'd have to practice pole vaulting every time i have the opportunity (imo, as a rookie, the best way to get better is to simply get as many vaults in as possible while having a coach guiding you through the process). But on days where there are no coaches to supervise pole vault practice and in weekends, during breaks etc. i work on my running and condition - through distance running or going on an exercise bike, and on top of the pole vaulting+running, i try to do some strength training since that should help improve my general athletic ability.
Now, i am a relatively small guy, being 5'9" and weighing only 133 pounds - so i can't do any heavy lifting, but light lifting with a relatively large amount of reps seems like a good thing to do.

So combining all of this, an average week for me would look something like this:¨
~3-4 days a week where i can actually pole vault. A day with pole vaulting usually includes a warm up ranging from quick jogging and stretching to a 2 mile run followed by extended dynamic stretching - depending on the day. After that, i'd do some quick warm up vaults and then move back to a 5L runway working on my technique, speed and slowly working my way up the pole (as a rookie, im not gripping the top of the pole) - on an average day ill get probably get in 25-30 vaults. After a practice, i always go through a quick core routine consisting of pushups, 15 reps of 8 different ab exercises and then some exercises for my lower back.
The days without pole vault practice, i usually go for either a ~5 mile run or spend 30-60 minutes doing conditioning on my exercise bike. Intervals, hills and that stuff will be added soon but im currently in between winter and spring track, so we don't have a track to work on. The thing is; after reading this forum i have come to understand that doing 5 mile runs and spending hours on an exercise bike could potentially damage my pole vaulting. The question for me is; how much does it really do when i just started pole vaulting and cant even make 10 feet?.
On top of my pole vaulting and conditioning i do some strength work 3 times a week which is 45 min of upper body training where i try to train most of the main muscle groups; biceps, triceps, shoulders, chest and back. My strength training is with relatively low weight and i usually do 3 sets of 12 reps of each exercise (~10 exercises).

So what this long post really comes down to; is it going to matter for a rookie pole vaulter to mix pole vault practice with mid-distance running?

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: Rookie Training and Running

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:43 am

No, it's not going to make that big of a difference for you at this point in your pole vaulting career. Do what you enjoy. Get speed and strength work in when you can. Focus on learning good pole vaulting technique.

Lots of people here will disagree with me, but I coach a lot of high school kids who don't have a lick of talent, and I know that not everyone needs to make pole vaulting the center of their universe.

As you get toward your senior year, if pole vaulting is going well, then you'll have to accept that choosing to continue to run distance or mid-distance means you won't maximize your pole vault potential. But at this stage of your career, it's not going to make that much of a difference.

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”