Lower Back Pain

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
jlipv94
PV Newbie
Expertise: Current College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.35
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud Lavillenie

Lower Back Pain

Unread postby jlipv94 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:53 pm

I have states on Saturday, and a 2 saturdays ago, I hurt my back at a pole vaulting meet. I don't know what really happened at the time, but I don't think it was because my take-off was under or anything. At first it was my entire lower back that hurt, but now it's just a specific point on the right side of my lower back that's in pain.
I've been icing after practice and everything and I'm taking it incredibly easy right now, but I still have a dull pain in my back whenever I jog/run around. Is there an injury that's common that would affect my lower right back if I"m a right handed vaulter?
Also, what else should I do to prevent it from hurting any more?

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: Lower Back Pain

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:26 pm

There are a wide range of injuries that could be causing the pain. It is pretty common for vaulters to get lower back injuries. I recommend seeing a chiropractor, if they can't help then a sports medicine doctor might be in order. If vaulting makes it feel worse, take a break from vaulting for a bit.

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”