Vaulting on a rolled Ankle

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
Vault101 Boy
PV Fan
Expertise: High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 14'6
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Brad Walker

Vaulting on a rolled Ankle

Unread postby Vault101 Boy » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:12 am

Bailed a plant and ran through but jacked my foot when it planted into the padding around the box. No swelling or anything and has near painless up and down movement so i would says its probably not a severe sprain or anything. What does hurt is when the foot bends horizontally. I took 4 days off and iced 2-3 times a day and biked for 10 min. Had a meet and prd by a foot on it but im still wearing an elastic brace a week and a half later with occasional pain. Were heading to knoxville this weekend then have sectionals and state the next two weekends so i dont have the luxury to miss a meet. Should i be seriously worried about the injury or just ride it out with ice and braces until the season is over?

tsorenson
PV Pro
Expertise: masters vaulter, former college vaulter, volunteer HS/club coach, fan, parent

Re: Vaulting on a rolled Ankle

Unread postby tsorenson » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:39 am

Ask yourself these questions:

-Is it more important to jump in the next meet and/or practices, or to let the injury heal so that you can jump well at districts/regionals/state? If you are a senior, I would wait it out and be fresh/healthy so that you can leave your mark at state.

-is it just nagging pain, or is it for real? If you PR'd by a foot, maybe you are benefitting from less vault practice and some recovery time. Maybe there are drills you can work on that don't involve the foot getting pounded (gymnastics: highbar, rings, rope, handstand pushups, etc)

-what does your doctor say?

Hope you get better, congrats on your PR!

Tom

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”