muscle loss

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
bjvando
PV Master
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, former college coach
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

muscle loss

Unread postby bjvando » Tue Apr 13, 2004 12:21 am

I have a question. about losing muscle..

if one has too much muscle ( defenitely NOT me) how would you goa bout wanting to lose muscle.. wanting to thin down to get the speed aspect involved rather then the strength aspect??

i though of low weight high rep lifting, but wouldnt that just make it maintain the muscel mass but burn the fat???

any advice is appreciated... thanks!!! :D
Head Coach- Victory Athletics (http://www.victoryathleticspv.com)

vaultchamp16
PV Beginner

Unread postby vaultchamp16 » Tue Apr 13, 2004 3:17 am

Cut back the weightroom time significantly. If someone has too much muscle?? then they are either very blessed or lift 5 to 6 days a week. Cut down to two or three with, like you said, lower weight, higher reps.
Sticking to body weight exercises will keep strength and speed but should help shed a little bulk. Less weightroom, more track.

Changing the diet is also very important. Find out is your friend is supplementing with protein, amino's, etc. It's important to take the right amount of protein and 1 to 1.5 grams per pound of body weight is pretty common if you want to keep your mass. If you want to loose a little, you can cut back some and it should help over time.
train harder

Robert schmitt
PV Lover

Unread postby Robert schmitt » Tue Apr 13, 2004 11:01 am

I know this may sound simple and sarcastic but it's not meant that way. Stop lifting and start sprinting.
An optimist is one who sees a light in darkness....a pessimist blows it out.

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”