Caffeine

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Re: Caffeine

Unread postby dj » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:21 am

go to...

http://www.oneapproachrun.com

click charts... read "How to be a World Class Athlete" PDF

dj

PS. the site is still "under construction" and if anyone has any suggestion on info you want to access... etc let me know...

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:14 am

There's only a little caffeine in chocolate and a lot more in coffee. Most people would have to drink a LOT of hot cocoa to feel any effects from the caffeine.

achtungpv
PV Rock Star

Unread postby achtungpv » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:51 pm

shyamoli wrote:What's the difference between the caffeine in coffee versus the caffeine in hot chocolate? Coffee tastes bitter and awful, so people basically put all kinds of junk in it to make it taste better (sugar, cream, etc.) so it's basically the same as drinking hot chocolate calorie-wise (both fattening). And people tell me they drink coffee for the caffeine, but doesn't chocolate have caffeine in it? Why not just drink the already delicious hot chocolate then wasting your time with bitter coffee?

Kids put stuff in coffee. Adults drink it black. Black as your soul.
"You have some interesting coaching theories that seem to have little potential."

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Unread postby dj » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:18 pm

hello

What athletes need to think about and understand about caffeine/coffee is that it depletes calcium in the system.

A lack of calcium can promote cramps… or involuntary contractions of the muscles….

If you are "prone' to cramps, even cramps while sleeping or at rest, the first thing you should do is check the amount of coffee (caffeine drinks)you are drinking.

Cut back AND take a very good calcium suplyment…

anything that unnecessarily burns/removes oOxygen from the bodies systems can have a long term negitive effect on proformance that a quick caffeine "boost' cannot over come...

dj

WiscoVaulter
PV Wannabe
Expertise: College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.11m
Favorite Vaulter: Jan Johnson

Unread postby WiscoVaulter » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:16 pm

Pertaining to caffeine use, I occasionally get migraines and during a meet I got one. I ended up taking 200mg (about the equivalent of 4 Mountain Dew soft drinks) of caffeine in pill form to clear it up. It worked but about twenty minutes later my step started to back up wildly, i backed up three feet from where my usual step is and got on a pole i had never used before and jumped a PR. I have never taken caffeine pills without a medical reason and was wondering if it could possibly be beneficial to performance.
Adversity cause some men to break; others to break records.

— William A Ward

master
PV Lover
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Volunteer HS Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.36m

Unread postby master » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:40 am

rainbowgirl28 wrote:There's only a little caffeine in chocolate and a lot more in coffee. Most people would have to drink a LOT of hot cocoa to feel any effects from the caffeine.

Here is info from one source: http://www.livestrong.com/article/11729 ... s.-coffee/
Eight ounces of generic brewed coffee averages 131mg of caffeine
Hot cocoa averages 9mg of caffeine per 8-oz. cup.

That computes to approximately 15 times more caffeine per oz in coffee than hot cocoa.
- master . . . http://www.plvlt.com

vaultmd
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Coach, Doctor
Lifetime Best: 475
Favorite Vaulter: Laura Huarte

Unread postby vaultmd » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:22 pm

There's a lot of theobromine in chocolate. Maybe that's what's causing the confusion.

fishman4god
PV Pro
Expertise: 4 Time all american 3 college 1 masters,Current high school pole vault coach,current masters vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.81 m
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Unread postby fishman4god » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:23 pm

WiscoVaulter wrote:Pertaining to caffeine use, I occasionally get migraines and during a meet I got one. I ended up taking 200mg (about the equivalent of 4 Mountain Dew soft drinks) of caffeine in pill form to clear it up. It worked but about twenty minutes later my step started to back up wildly, i backed up three feet from where my usual step is and got on a pole i had never used before and jumped a PR. I have never taken caffeine pills without a medical reason and was wondering if it could possibly be beneficial to performance.

Headaches can be caused by lots of things, dehydration is often the problem, caffeine would/could help and yes it could speed you up .it is after all a stimulant.

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”