Distance running and the pole vault

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
Kris
PV Wannabe
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

Distance running and the pole vault

Unread postby Kris » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:12 pm

I just moved from America to Denmark and im hoping to pick up pole vaulting again - but i won't be doing anything for sure, and i mgiht also do either middle distance running or try the decathlon instead. Since i do not now exactly what i will be doing next year, i have picked up distance running as a way to stay in shape, and im currently also training for a local 24 hour relay and 5x5k.
I do however know that distance running is not very benefitial for the vault, but i am wondering if it will make a noticeable difference as i am not a very experienced vaulter - and running does increase athleticism etc.
So; if i hope to pole vault efficiently next year, should i quit my distace running and focus on short sprints, or should i just stick with the running and see what happens?
I also do core on a regularly basis (~5 times a week) and do strength workouts 2-4 times a week.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: Distance running and the pole vault

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:30 pm

You'll probably pole vault higher if you do less distance and more sprinting. But what are you more likely to stick with in terms of offseason training? What are you going to enjoy more?

Kris
PV Wannabe

Unread postby Kris » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:35 pm

I m not sure what i'll do yet - i think i'll focus on either pole vaulting or the decathlon, but currently im mainly training for a 5x5k - the closest i come to speed training is days like today where i did 6x400m w/200m rest, 8x200m w/200m, 5 30m sprints''
Is long distance capabilities at all benefitial for the decathlon?

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:12 pm

Kris wrote:I m not sure what i'll do yet - i think i'll focus on either pole vaulting or the decathlon, but currently im mainly training for a 5x5k - the closest i come to speed training is days like today where i did 6x400m w/200m rest, 8x200m w/200m, 5 30m sprints''

The way the points work out in the decathlon, you really need to focus on speed and explosiveness to do your best there.

Kris
PV Wannabe

Unread postby Kris » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:30 am

Hm i'll try to incorporate some more speed work in my training - running in a 24 hour relay in two weeks though, so i have to keep doing some distance runs for now.

fishman4god
PV Pro
Expertise: 4 Time all american 3 college 1 masters,Current high school pole vault coach,current masters vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.81 m
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Unread postby fishman4god » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:24 pm

rainbowgirl28 wrote:
Kris wrote:I m not sure what i'll do yet - i think i'll focus on either pole vaulting or the decathlon, but currently im mainly training for a 5x5k - the closest i come to speed training is days like today where i did 6x400m w/200m rest, 8x200m w/200m, 5 30m sprints''

The way the points work out in the decathlon, you really need to focus on speed and explosiveness to do your best there.

Defenitely the truth. I would limit your distance training to 2 days a week and avoid running longer than 5 miles at a time.

Kris
PV Wannabe

Unread postby Kris » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:41 pm

fishman4god wrote:
rainbowgirl28 wrote:

Defenitely the truth. I would limit your distance training to 2 days a week and avoid running longer than 5 miles at a time.

been over 6 miles 11 of the last 12 days :p
But organized practice is starting soon and then i'll probably do some sprinting - hopefully my extensive base training will have been somewhat helpful... might also be going to Danish nationals in the 800 in a month where longer runs isn't too much of a disadvantage either

fishman4god
PV Pro
Expertise: 4 Time all american 3 college 1 masters,Current high school pole vault coach,current masters vaulter

Unread postby fishman4god » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:33 pm

Well it sounds like you have a plan for sure . Good luck and train safe!

Kris
PV Wannabe

Unread postby Kris » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:21 pm

Would something like 5*200, 5*100, 5*200 and 5*30m sprints work as pole vault training or is that too much of a distance workout?

fishman4god
PV Pro

Unread postby fishman4god » Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:34 pm

That is fine although I would taper off on the 200's during season they are really not necessary....unless of course you are going to do the decathalon as you talked about earlier. If training the Decathalon you would need to do some 400's and 800's periodically to have what you need for the 1500. I would through some 50's-60's in as well.... but that is just me.

Kris
PV Wannabe

Unread postby Kris » Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:15 pm

I'm just trying to find the right balance between distance running and shorter events+jumping/vaulting since i do not yet know what i will be doing next year, only that im participating in at least 2 distance relay events in august where i have to perform - does any of you guys have a link to some good pole vault rope drills? or just egenral strength+core exercises on a free-hanging rope?

fishman4god
PV Pro

Unread postby fishman4god » Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:16 pm

Some great drills including an excellent rope drill is clearly demonstrated on another thread. Go to Intermediate technique and find the topic that references grip width. The video is within that thread and it is a presentation from reno pole vault sumit....I think in 2007=2008....anyway it has a great swinging rope drill many of us have done/used it and it is effective and also bubkas on a bar or rings....there is actually a lsvariation on a rope but be warned on the rope they(bubkas) are brutally hard. There are some other great dril in the video as well. Enjoy!

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”