Training with no equipment

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
willschmelt
PV Newbie
Expertise: In between HS and college vaulting
Lifetime Best: 14'9
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Lawrence Johnson

Training with no equipment

Unread postby willschmelt » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:02 am

So, I'm in a bit of a predicament at the moment. In 2 weeks I will be leaving for Uganda, and I will be there for 4 weeks. In Uganda (or at least where I'll be) there is absolutely ZERO lifting/exercise equipment. I am currently taking a gap year, and hope to improve my PR of 14'9 to somewhere in the high 15s or low 16s this year so I can get a scholarship to a school with a solid program, so because of this, I am training entirely for long term (at least before college apps are due). I'm not particularly strong. Some of my lifts include dumbbell benching 70s 8-10 times, dead lifting in the low-mid 200s, curling 30s, etc. I would just be focused on maintaining a minimal exercise program while in Africa to avoid losing any of my gains, however I currently have very little gains. I've been nursing an injury for months now so my legs are trashed, and right when it had nearly healed completely, something came up and I got too busy to get any good workouts in. So basically, I'm in horrible shape and I haven't lifted seriously for about a month. I was thinking spending 4 weeks with a lot of time on my hands and no access to equipment could be a good time to really build a better "base" considering I have always been very prone to injury.
My basic question is: What type of equipment-less workout program could I do for 4 weeks?
In case it's worth adding, I also plan to become a decathlete and I intend to compete in a few decathlons starting in early spring, so I need every kind of strength and conditioning.

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Re: Training with no equipment

Unread postby dj » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:28 am

hey

simply run up hills or stairs untill you are in shape... start easy.. and and time or numbers each day... decide based on how hard the day was if you need to rest a day between sessions......

simple progressive overload.. working within your boundries.......

dj

coachjvinson
PV Whiz
Expertise: I have never recognized the concept of limits-I think an athlete who accepts limits is dead-Bubka
Lifetime Best: 0
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: COOP 4.55m and Mondo

Re: Training with no equipment

Unread postby coachjvinson » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:11 am

Look into a flexibility and stretching regimen that may include yoga. If this is not something that you already subscribe to, the lack of flexibility may have contributed to the hamstring injury. Also look into plyometrics, jump training, and bodyweight training movements: invest in a speed/agiligy ladder and take a speed jump rope with you. The practical obstacle which you are overcoming is developing an overload and periodization with simply your body weight and the intensity and volume of your workouts. Frankly, this challenge of training without traditional equipment could give you a great foundation of exercises and planning workouts which you can carry with you when you return.
PURSUITOF2016

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”