How to get ready for polevaulting?

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
Eric28446
PV Newbie
Expertise: Beginner
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

How to get ready for polevaulting?

Unread postby Eric28446 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:35 pm

Hello,

I'm new to this forum. I am a senior in high school, and will start pole vaulting later this month. I've never vaulted before, and from looking around on this forum, it looks like I probably won't have a ton of natural talent. That won't discourage me though. I'm 5'11" and 130 pounds. I run the 800, 1600, and 3200, and hope to break 10:00 this year in the 3200, so I will be running a lot of distance. I know that that isn't ideal for a vaulter, but distance is my true passion, so I'll just have to make do.

Anyway, I have a few weeks off before indoor track starts. I don't have a pole or anything, but I really want to start training now. I'm already running about 50 miles per week for distance, but what should I be doing to get ready for pole vaulting?

By the end of outdoor season (May), what can I reasonably expect to clear? I'm not a great sprinter (run the 200 in 26.5), and my arm strength is probably about average for my body type (I can do 60-ish push-ups, but only because I'm light enough that I don't have very much to push). We practice two days a week. I really would like to be in the 9' or 10' range if that is possible.

Also, is it okay to pole vault in distance spikes, or should I just use regular running shoes? I won't be competitive enough to warrant buying pole vaulting spikes.

Thank you guys so much!

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Re: How to get ready for polevaulting?

Unread postby powerplant42 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:08 pm

You should be able to clear 9-10 just fine by the end of outdoor. Distance spikes are fine for vault at these heights.

If you want to get a head start, work on carrying and planting the pole... That is the major challenge for beginners.
"I run and jump, and then it's arrrrrgh!" -Bubka

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: How to get ready for polevaulting?

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:16 pm

The best thing you can do right now is find a pole vault camp or club and get some lessons in.

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”