Winter training ideas?

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
hetchie
PV Newbie
Expertise: High School Coach/College Vautler
Lifetime Best: 4.72
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Rory Quiller

Winter training ideas?

Unread postby hetchie » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:11 am

I coach at a high school in rural Colorado and we have absolutely no options for setting up pits this time of year. A couple of my athletes are competing indoors, so meet warm ups is their only chance of actual vault training. Does anyone have some good indoor drills I could give them. Slide box, plant drills, etc., are starting to get mundane and I don't want them losing interest. Climbing ropes are not allowed in our district either...
"You have the choice to scale new heights, to achieve all you are capable of achieving"

grandevaulter
PV Pro
Expertise: Three year highschool vaulter 1978-80. Now coaching highschoolers and competing in masters.
Lifetime Best: 11'
Favorite Vaulter: Timothy Mack

Re: Winter training ideas?

Unread postby grandevaulter » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:51 am

Hi Coach,

We currently spend forty minutes in the weight room doing circuits and every other day so the elastic band work out. Then go to the abs/core exercises. We then do our pole carries in different variations that I picked up out of the BTB2 book. Straight leg claws, B strides, 20/20. If the long jump pit isn't frozen or snowed over there is plenty of work to do there. My head coach gives us several other types of plyo circuits that I mix pole carries in. ( He is creative and brilliant) I'm still trying to get a high bar. According to BTB2, it is a must.

Georg

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:14 pm

I'm still trying to get a high bar. According to BTB2, it is a must. ABSOLUTELY! :yes:
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

grandevaulter
PV Pro
Expertise: Three year highschool vaulter 1978-80. Now coaching highschoolers and competing in masters.

Unread postby grandevaulter » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:19 pm

Today we did abs, bands, 20/20. Straight leg claws, Goose or b runs, 3 n 3s walking, jogging sprinting. Pole sprints from the shoulder position and pole sprints all the way up. Hop / plant against the wall. All indoors.

This weekend it's my aim to set up the raised runway /box ( I just finished building) and the pits in the foyer of the school and start jumping. It'll be a lot of work setting up Saturday afternoon and putting away Sunday afternoon. Administration didn't seem to fired up about the high bar. I'll keep plugging.

grandevaulter
PV Pro

Unread postby grandevaulter » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:01 pm

Here is a link to the indoor set up. It took a few days to build and about three hours to set up. I think I can cut that in half. I put it in the foyer. The school janitor had a fit this morning

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=458 ... =2&theater

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:13 pm

Administration didn't seem to fired up about the high bar. I'll keep plugging. Yes you must - I realise there are health and safety issues with high bars that worry administrators but I am absolutely convinced that using the high bar is the most effective and efficient way to develop important elements of technique after the athlete leaves the ground. In fact it can be invaluable in helping athletes gain a feeling of where they should be IMMEDIATELY after the instant of take off- i.e. hands high, right knee up and forward, take off leg extended -but with a slight flex etc etc.

Just a thought - they had to cancel competition and training last week in Adelaide because it was 112 degrees.
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

grandevaulter
PV Pro

Unread postby grandevaulter » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:54 pm

I'll get the high bar Alan, hopefully sooner than later. I may have to take your dvd into the principal the next time that I get an audience with him and show him how important it is.. I try to make my appointments with him count. I always follow through with my proposals and try to exceed his expectations for the my projects / fundraisers that he approves. He approved the indoor ramp and bringing the pit indoors. He is an ex track coach as well so that helps.

I must say that it was enjoyable in the foyer of the school for the last three days. Our temperature was -12c or 9f with snow and blowing outdoors. The girl in the video has been coming once a week for the last four weeks. She has a long way to go . The drills that she is doing doesn't seem to be translating into the jumps but I'm confident it will work. I was disappointed that the other four kids didn't show up this weekend.

grandevaulter
PV Pro

Unread postby grandevaulter » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:13 pm

I looked over the high bar instructions that you posted on the equipment page. Gears are turning in my head on how to build a portable indoors set up.

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”