Training program needed for semester school

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
JDT
PV Newbie
Expertise: Current high school beginner
Lifetime Best: 8' 6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: To new to know

Training program needed for semester school

Unread postby JDT » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:26 pm

I am VERY new to pole vaulting, I started halfway through this last season. I came from XC and need to build up a LOT of upper body and core, my PR in practice is only 9' 6". I am currently at a semester school until January, and don't have access to a mat. The gym is well equipped and it has a track, but I am not sure what I should do to get ready for the year. Any help would be greatly appreciated?

asaleh
PV Fan
Expertise: high school vaulter
Lifetime Best: 14'
Favorite Vaulter: Sam Kendricks #TEAMKENDRICKS

Re: Training program needed for semester school

Unread postby asaleh » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:35 am

Well im no elite coach like some of these guys in the forum by I can tell you what i did because i was once in your position. Fpr the first month of my training i did a lot of volume work. Volume work is when you try to put in alotof the base work pretty much. I suggest you go run 3 days a week doing these types of work outs:(2mile runs, 4X300m, 10X150m, ladders, 300m,200m,150m,150m,200m,300m, 150m,100m,50m,50m,100m,150m.) Always time your runs. Its a good indicator of where you are in the program. Now for the lifting you dont wanna mainly focus on your upperbody and core. The reason is you want to strengthen your legs to get a powerful turnover when you are running down the runway with a pole. So if you should probably ask a lifting coach there at your school for a workout routine.One last thing about the lifting abs should be done every day. Your abdominals are meant to take the load everyday so if your abs are feeling sore it wouldn't hurt to work them our. For the vaulting aspect there are many ways to work on the vault without atcually vaulting. if you dont have acsess to poles like i did, you can go to a home depot or something and purchase a piece of pvc pipe. it is a great tool and if it ends become to easy to do your runs with then you could but sand in it. For the drills your best bet is to work on your running form. Running taall is a great start to working on you form. That is just my inpuut. last thing if you really want to see improvement you have to follow these workouts religiously. Good Luck!
Your only as good as your last jump.

asaleh
PV Fan

Well im no elite coach like some of these guys in the forum by I can tell you what i did because i was once in your position. Fpr the first month of my training i did a lot of volume work. Volume work is when you try to put in alotof the base work pretty much. I suggest you go run 3 days a week doing these types of work outs:(2mile runs, 4X300m, 10X150m, ladders, 300m,200m,150m,150m,200m,300m, 150m,100m,50m,50m,100m,150m.) Always time your runs. Its a good indicator of where you are in the program. Now for the lifting you dont wanna mainly focus on your upperbody and core. The reason is you want to strengthen your legs to get a powerful turnover when you are running down the runway with a pole. So if you should probably ask a lifting coach there at your school for a workout routine.One last thing about the lifting abs should be done every day. Your abdominals are meant to take the load everyday so if your abs are feeling sore it wouldn't hurt to work them our. For the vaulting aspect there are many ways to work on the vault without atcually vaulting. if you dont have acsess to poles like i did, you can go to a home depot or something and purchase a piece of pvc pipe. it is a great tool and if it ends become to easy to do your runs with then you could but sand in it. For the drills your best bet is to work on your running form. Running taall is a great start to working on you form. That is just my inpuut. last thing if you really want to see improvement you have to follow these workouts religiously. Good Luck!

asaleh
PV Fan

asaleh
PV Fan

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”