Blisters and rips...

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
VaultingFiend
PV Newbie

Unread postby VaultingFiend » Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:13 pm

Man i can relate to you definately, i think first of all, it depend on what kind of a blister or rip you are talking about.
Theres the kind that have the deep blister, the blister under the callous or the pinching pain.
Most of that stuff you have to deal with, thats what everyone tells me and i get mad cause that isn't what i want to hear.
I agree with the soaking of the hands in suddsie warm water, and then lotioning them up. Kind of massage your hand if you can when, its soft, helps me.
But what ever you do don't slide down your pole, that hurt a bunch when i was going for 16'3'' last week, i never did it before and now my whole right hand is a red mess.

AeroVault
PV Nerd
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach
Lifetime Best: 4.95m

Unread postby AeroVault » Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:24 pm

It seems like every vaulter has a callous in the same spot (between the middle and ring finger). It's kind of like a branding or something. I always cut mine away a few days before a meet, that way if it does bleed it heals by competition time.

PVPirate26
PV Pro
Lifetime Best: 10'8"
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Unread postby PVPirate26 » Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:30 pm

that's so funny that you mentioned sliding down the pole...i did that for the first time in practice today and it hurt like hell!! it feels like i ripped a whole layer of skin off my hand or something. i put some ice on it and the burning stopped...i hope i never do that again!!

vaulter870
PV Great
Expertise: Current Club Cocah, Current College Vaulter, PV Addict!
Favorite Vaulter: Toby Stevenson

Unread postby vaulter870 » Tue Feb 15, 2005 1:51 pm

its worse when it fells like you no longer have finger prints. i know i can talk from several experences of overgripping ;)
If you cant do it right , do if 10000 more times till you can

PVPirate26
PV Pro

Unread postby PVPirate26 » Tue Feb 15, 2005 7:00 pm

that's exactly how my fingers feel right now!! everything feels really smooth to touch. weird!!

MightyMouse
PV Follower

Unread postby MightyMouse » Tue Feb 15, 2005 7:24 pm

PVPirate26 wrote:that's exactly how my fingers feel right now!! everything feels really smooth to touch. weird!!

I did it last night we have a pole thats 2 small and 1 thats 2 big I got on the big 1 ,and was in and, RIPPP you could see a line of skin that had piled up on the side of my hand. What doesnt kill you makes you tougher right?!
19 Years Old
Coach: Val Osipenko
"Hard work never goes to waste"
Petrov/Launder student

PVPirate26
PV Pro

Unread postby PVPirate26 » Tue Feb 15, 2005 7:30 pm

yeah i hope so!!

blazerunner121
PV Pro

Unread postby blazerunner121 » Tue Feb 15, 2005 10:25 pm

AeroVault wrote:It seems like every vaulter has a callous in the same spot (between the middle and ring finger). It's kind of like a branding or something. I always cut mine away a few days before a meet, that way if it does bleed it heals by competition time.

i have same thing too. as long as i pv, its never goign to go away. its like a pv trademark.

PVJESS08
PV Whiz

Unread postby PVJESS08 » Tue Feb 15, 2005 10:52 pm

Actually there is something you can buy - I was a gymnist for years and dealt with rips from the bars. If you go to a sports store, or even a gymastics gym, they sell this stuff that goes on the rips to make them softer so they no longer rip - and they heal so much faster too. Sounds like it wouldnt work, but trust me it helps so much! I cant recall the name of the stuff but it starts with a "C" and any gymnastics gym will know the name if you just call and ask. It won't prevent you from ripping but it sure eases the pain of the rip.

Good luck!

jmayesvaultmom
PV Follower

Unread postby jmayesvaultmom » Wed Feb 16, 2005 11:46 am

For rips, Jodie's gymnastics coach recommended hemmroid (sp?) creme...it works. :dazed: :P
That's Jodie!!

A scripture that makes me think of all you girls and guys pole vaulting....

Habakkuk 3:19
The Sovereign LORD is my strength;
he makes my feet like the feet of a deer,
he enables me to go on the heights.

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”