Preseason workout help?

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
Hodags4227
PV Newbie
Expertise: High school vaulter
Lifetime Best: 10 feet
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Born Otto

Preseason workout help?

Unread postby Hodags4227 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:17 am

Hi, I'm a junior in high school and this is my third season of vaulting. I need some help figuring out some preseason weight training ideas.
I just got done with my winter season as a Nordic skier so I've mainly been doing long distance training. I know I need work on my approach speed and my take off strength.
I also need to work on my turn over at the top of the vault, but the pole I'm using needs an upgrade so hopefully that will fix it.
I also teach martial arts classes and I take a high intencity cardio class every tuesday and thursday.
Any ideas?

GreenSilver
PV Newbie
Expertise: College coach
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Władysław Kozakiewicz

Re: Preseason workout help?

Unread postby GreenSilver » Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:46 pm

You need to get away from intensive cardio training as the predominant mode of conditioning and focus on approach runs away from the pit and building up to several approach with 2-3 minutes rest. Add in low level pliometrics to be prefoed after an event specific warmup. Slow walking pole drills as well as a bunch of 4 step runs is a good place to start.

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”