Severe Mental Block

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
Mcrich114
PV Newbie
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 12'
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud Lavillenie

Severe Mental Block

Unread postby Mcrich114 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:27 pm

Hey guys, Ive been trying to get over a pretty bad mental block thats kept me grounded for the past 3 weeks, Ive tried slide box drills, running on the track, going from 3 lefts but nothing seems to help me cope with it. Any ideas on how I can deal with this and get back to serious training?

CoachEric
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current Private Coach for HS and College Athletes
Lifetime Best: 16'
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Re: Severe Mental Block

Unread postby CoachEric » Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:01 pm

Often times a "mental block" is the result of a techncal issue that has gone unnoticed. Post a video of your run. There's a good chance that your pole carry or plant motion is pulling you off balance, and you're unable to leave the ground not because of a mental block, but because your body isn't prepared to jump.

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:09 am

[quote="CoachEric"]Often times a "mental block" is the result of a techncal issue that has gone unnoticed."

Absolutely! And even when the technical problem is fixed there may be a psychological hangover for a period that still prevents you from performing. That is why it is so important to get it right from the very beginning!
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

lifecaster9
PV Wannabe
Expertise: current highschool vaulter
Lifetime Best: 15
Favorite Vaulter: Steve Hooker

Unread postby lifecaster9 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:33 am

Run through and have your coach mark your takeoff. If you are dead on you need to go for it. Don't think about it too much. If you can't do this then you can try what I did and that was get a stiff pole and straight vault from like three steps back. Keep moving up the pole and keep taking steps back until your close to your full run grip height. Then try to go for it again. Of course only "go for it" when you know your steps are right. When these things happen all it takes is one good jump to stop the mental block. So when you're going for it just repeat in your mind. "just one time" and be confident in yourself. I hope this helps :)

-Brandon
"It always seems impossible until it is done."

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:46 am

Still be worth posting some video to see if there is a problem - especially with the plant.
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”