Hope to jump higher soon

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
Jungm1420
PV Nerd
Expertise: Sophomore High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 14'
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

Hope to jump higher soon

Unread postby Jungm1420 » Wed May 14, 2014 2:01 pm

I am a senior in high school and have recently jumped 14' several times gripping at 13'4 on a 13'6 175lb pole from a 6 left approach, and gripping roughly the same on a 14' 170lb pole from 7 lefts. I have recently had a fairly large breakthrough with my technique but from my short approaches, 4 and 5 lefts. I am now able to jump holding at 13'2 on a 13'6 165lb from 4 lefts and with great form. I haven't bar jumped to actually see how high i could jump from 4 but im guessing at least 13' maybe even 13'6. So my main question just two weeks away from the state meet. Do I need to try working on the biggest poles i can and carry that form over? When i hit my longer runs and use bigger poles my form is not as great. Im thinking that i could get onto a 14'6 165 pole from 7 lefts holding near the top. Would getting onto this pole and hitting some good form be my main goal for these last few practices? I go to sectionals saturday the 17th and then state is the following weekend. I am hoping to jump over 14'6-15'+ at the state meet.

GasPasser
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former HS vaulter - now 55-59YO Masters vaulter, and part-time coach
Lifetime Best: 13'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Re: Hope to jump higher soon

Unread postby GasPasser » Wed May 14, 2014 10:59 pm

From what I'm reading in your post, it's either your pole drop, plant, or takeoff point that is negatively affected by the longer run. I'm going to guess that it's your plant that is better in your short runs. Given that you are not able to get as much speed in your short runs, but you're able to jump nearly as high on a slightly softer pole, and you say your form is better with a short run, it may be in the longer run that your plant is incomplete (hands not all the way up, hips not in the correct place). But with the shorter runs, and slightly slower speed, your plant is fully completed, and your posture is ideal for takeoff. On your longer runs, try moving your hands quicker during the plant, make sure your step is on (and not under - have someone catch your step on every jump), and that you are not dropping the pole tip below eye level before initiating the plant. We see far too many HS vaulters starting their plant with the pole parallel to the ground at waist level.

My theory, without seeing any videos, is that something in the last 3-steps is better in your short runs than in your long runs. My number one suspect is the plant.

Do you have any videos of both your short and long run vaults? We'd like to see the entire run with the vault, and filmed from the side, adjacent to the take-off point.

Jungm1420
PV Nerd
Expertise: Sophomore High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 14'

Unread postby Jungm1420 » Wed May 14, 2014 11:52 pm

Okay so i believe you are correct! I went to practice tonight at a local club where there are many different video angles set up. I spend a great amount of time analyzing my jumps using this nice set up. As far as my take off i have always been an under person. If i am hitting only a foot under im doing good. Recently it has improved though. And me and my coach have talked and discussed whether or not to focus on this. We have decided that it would be okay for now as long as i am only hitting a foot under at most, because at this point, i am tall and jumping, good take off posture with my last step getting underneath me. However it is possible for me to take off out where i need to be, but with that i stride out and have long steps and i think it will take a bit of work to change that. But i did notice one major thing tonight! Coming into my plant my top hand is drifting back behind me instead of saying at the hip. I think this could be causing problems, low body posture at plant, feeling of being late or under, making me stretch.

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Thu May 15, 2014 12:51 am

Jungm1420 wrote: ... i am tall and jumping, good take off posture with my last step getting underneath me.

This is all conjecture without seeing vids (ironic that you had a great vid setup in your last practice, but haven't posted the vids), but I rather doubt that your posture is good when you're a foot under. I wouldn't say it's impossible, but it's highly unlikely.

Jungm1420 wrote: ... i think it will take a bit of work to change that.

As you say, I wouldn't change too much this late in the season, with big meets coming up.

Good luck!

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”